Search This Blog

Friday 31 August 2018

How to draw: A Grizzly Bear

We have a lot of fun in today's blog when I show you how to draw this furry grizzly bear. After following the steps to draw the bear, I will use a very special type of pencil, manufactured by Derwent, called the Drawing pencils, to colour the bear with. These pencils have been specially developed to draw animals with and are an absolute treat to work with. However, if you can't lay your hands on these, feel free to use your own colouring pencils instead.


You will need a sheet of paper and pencil to start today's drawing with.


Start with a big oval to represent the bear's body. Place an overlapping smaller circle on top fir the bear's head.


Draw shapes for where the hind legs will go and mark off the width of his face.


Add ears, a snout and eyes and continue developing the width of the head.


Add the front legs.


Develop the face a little more and work on the hind legs. I also added detail to the paws.


Start to establish the outline of the bear in furry scribbles.


Add more defining detail.


Draw a setting for the grizzly.


I used a Faber Castell Artist's Pitt Pen with a brush tip to redraw the lines of the drawing.


Erase the pencil marks.


These are the colouring pencils I will be using to colour the drawing with.


I start on the darkest areas.


I go slightly lighter.


I then use my medium tone.


I again go slightly lighter.


I use a surprising green in the shaded areas. I will use this same colour in the background, and need to add the reflection of this colour into my drawing.


I add the lightest tone.


I now start colouring the foreground.


Darkers shades are added.


I move on to the background.


Warm colours advance while cold colours retreat, adding dimension to the background.


I finalize the background.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment