Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 August 2018

How to draw: An Excavator

Today we continue the series on how to draw things with a drawing of an excavator. I am not a technical artist by any means, and I am sure there will be some of you out there who will be able to spot some obvious errors in my drawing. However, I hide myself behind artistic freedom, and show you how I went about it anyway. The really fun part of today's blog, is that I use acrylic ink to paint the drawing with, when we are done. Ink is one of my all time favourite mediums and I can barely wait to introduce you to it!


We will need paper, a pencil and a ruler for this drawing.


Start your drawing with a triangle, a rectangle, and a shape for the rollers/wheels that the excavator moves on.


Start developing the arm.


Continue the development of the arm and the cabin.


We are now starting to add a third dimension to the drawing.


A whole lot of detail is added in this step, from the top to the bottom.


Even more detail is added.


It is time to redraw the sketch in ink. I used a black marker for this purpose.


Erase all of the pencil lines.


I then used my black marker to draw a setting for the excavator. This was done freehand and very quickly. Do not overthink it - this is simply background.


I used Dala Acrylic Ink to paint the picture with. I also used smaller and larger flat brushes. Once the ink dries it is permanently set. However, as long as it is wet, it can easily be washed out with water.


I started with the lightest shades and coloured these a pale yellow.


This was followed by a more intense yellow.


I then added Sienna.


This was followed by black.


I painted the background in Sienna as well.


Then I added dark areas in Brown.


The final picture.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment