Search This Blog

Sunday 16 August 2015

Bake a delicious Malva Pudding

What is not to love about Malva Pudding? This dessert has become such a firm favorite that it has stuck with us throughout the generations. Yet it is not the simplest recipe to make. Let me walk you through the process step by step.


I use the Malva Pudding recipe from a very well-known book as base for the one I bake, but adjust it ever so slightly so that it is not quite as rich as the original recipe.


I use the same ingredients as the main recipe with slight variations that I will explain as we go along. I also do not follow the method to the letter. I needed quite a large pudding when I baked the one for this blog and multiplied the recipe four times! I will therefore keep multiplying everything by four so that the quantities in the photos correlate to the typed text. Feel free to multiply or divide this recipe as you see fit; it is very patient that way.


The Pudding
I use 125 g real butter. You may substitute this for margarine if you prefer. The margarine is melted in the microwave oven.


I measure 4 cups (4 x 250 ml) sugar in a mixing bowl.


Add the melted butter to the sugar and cream with a blender.


Add 4 eggs to the mix and blend again.



Squeeze the juice from one large lemon and add it to the mix (you may also use lemon juice from a bottle if you do not have a fresh lemon. In that case you need 20 ml).


Add 20 ml apricot jam.


Add 20 ml bicarbonate of soda. Mix well with your blender and put the mix aside for the moment.


Add 4 cups (4 x 250 ml) of flour to a huge mixing bowl.


Add 4 cups (4 x 250 ml) cold milk to the flour. Use your electric beater to mix the milk and flour and make sure there are no lumps.


It is time to set your oven (unless your oven takes a while to reach temperature, in which case you can do it sooner). Set the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.


Add the mix that you've set aside to the milk and flour mixture. Beat well with your blender.



Fill a baking dish (or two!) with the mixture. Pour it approximately to the halfway mark. Do not overfill. You will add the sauce at the end and put it back in the oven. If you overfill the pan, the sauce will boil over and make a mess in your oven. Put the pans in the oven and bake for about an hour. Keep your eye on it for the last ten minutes.


The Sauce
In the original recipe they only cook the sauce for 2 minutes. I start my sauce as soon as the pudding is in the oven and cook it the full baking time. Add a whole 500 g brick of butter to a huge pot. I cut it smaller to speed up the melting time. Add 500 ml cream to the pot as well. (The original recipe has 1 L cream).


In the original recipe they don't use milk, but I want to reduce the cream. I therefore add 500 ml milk to the pot.


Add 4 cups (4 x 250 ml) sugar to the pot.


I add two big dessertspoons of apricot jam to the sauce, which is not in the original recipe.


Finally I add 500 ml boiled water. The water is simply boiled to speed up the cooking time. I put the sauce on high (6 on my stove) and stir continually until the mixture reaches boiling point. I then turn the heat down to medium (4 on my stove) and let it caramelize at leisure. I stir only occasionally now, washing and cleaning up in between.


Once my pudding is ready to come out of the oven, I take my sauce off the stove top as well.


Pour the hot sauce over the steaming pudding as soon as you take it out of the oven.


Put the pudding back in the oven for about 15 minutes to let the sauce caramelize inside the pudding.


This pudding is beautifully caramelized.


The Custard
In the 15 minutes that the pudding is put back in the oven, you can quickly make a smooth custard to accompany the dessert. Pour approximately 1 L of milk in a pot. Bring it to the boil with the stove on high.


Add 5 ml (1 teaspoonful) of vanilla essence.


Put some custard powder in a mixing bowl. (I am making a very thick custard for the sake of the photographs and this is more powder than you will need). About 4 dessertspoons should be enough.


Mix the custard powder with a bit of milk to a smooth blend.


Add the custard mix to the boiling milk.


Add sugar to taste. For Malva Pudding I don't make a very sweet custard as the pudding is already overwhelmingly sweet. I need the custard to tone the sweetness down a bit.


Pour the custard over the hot Pudding and enjoy! (Cool custard actually goes better with a warm pudding. Resting the container with the custard in a bowl of cold water, speeds up the cooling time).


For more crafty ideas and great products, visit APrettyTalent.com.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment