Search This Blog

Sunday 2 August 2015

Draw a Landscape step by step using Derwent Graphitint

In the previous blog we made use of Derwent's Graphitint pencils to draw and paint a zebra. Being slightly dull in color it was pretty much a done deal that we would be able to do so successfully. The question remains if Graphitint pencils are at all useful if you want to do a colorful picture? I found a vibrant painting by Paul van Rensburg and put the pencils to the test. Let me walk you through it step by step.


Derwent Graphitint pencils are graphite pencils to which they have added color. They are not as vibrant as other coloring pencils because in essence they are still grey pencils. Yet, is that absolutely true? We test the theory today when we attempt a vibrant landscape.


It is essential for today's painting that we be aware of the changes in color that take place when the Graphitint pencils are painted with water. I keep this color chart close at hand at all times.


I work on a good quality drawing paper that can withstand washes and use masking tape to secure my paper on a masonite backing.


My drawing will be done in water-soluble Graphite pencils.


This is the painting by Paul van Rensburg that I have on my iPad. I love the challenge this poses to the product I want to work with.


I start by sketching the landscape very lightly in pencil.


I use an angle brush to take color from the pencil.


The color I took from the pencil is painted onto the sky area. This is an effective color wash.


The color I used for the sky is Sage.


I color the mountainous background Aubergine.


The mountain is painted with a Pentel Aquash Brush.


The distant land area is colored with Meadow.


I use the angle brush from before to paint the Meadow.


The foreground is colored with Chestnut which is then painted with water.


The main color blocks have now been painted.


I add Ocean Blue to all the places the original painting had its vibrant blue.


The Ocean Blue becomes brilliant once painted.


Autumn Brown is used on the roofs of the houses.


See how vibrant this color becomes once painted?


The distant trees are colored with Ivy.


The Ivy is then painted.


I decide t whiten the houses with White to cover up smudges.


Ocean Blue is now added to the two most prominent features on the painting, the two main trees in the foreground. I do not paint them yet.


I add Midnight Black to the two main trees and the deep shadow areas elsewhere in the painting.


The blue and black is painted at the same time so that there is some mixing of colors taking place. Let the painting dry before removing the masking tape.


I would have to conclude that this is a rather brilliant result for the Graphitint pencils. Not as bright as the original painting, but not bad at all!


For more crafty ideas and great products, visit APrettyTalent.com.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment