Search This Blog

Sunday 2 September 2018

How to draw: A Mustang Aeroplane

I am really pushing my luck this week by attempting yet a second technical drawing! This time we are going to draw and paint a Second World War favourite bomber plane, named the Mustang. You guessed it - it was developed in America. We paint this drawing with water-soluble wax crayons. Sounds incredible, doesn't it? Well, it exists! Prepare to have fun!


You will need a sheet of paper, a pencil and a ruler to start today's drawing.


Start with the body of the plane and a triangle for the tail.


Add the lines to mark the spaces for the wings.


Add the nose and the fuel tank under the wing. Square off the tail as well.


Develop the body and add detail to the tail.


Add the cockpit.


Continue working on the cockpit, the nose and the closest wing.


Add the military insignia and other detail.


Redraw the plane in ink.


Erase the pencil lines.


Various manufacturers have water-soluble wax crayons on the market and some are much cheaper than others. I prefer Derwent's Artbar, but do not shirk from using the others as well.


I will show you two ways of using the crayons. In the first method, I wet my brush with water, take colour directly off the bar, and pain the drawing. This is similar to traditional watercolours.


I start with the darkest areas. Note how I simply make a paint line where the propeller would go. When the plane is in motion, one would only be able to see a blur, and no detail on the propeller.


Then I colour the bright nose of the plane.


I then finish with the lighter shades.


I then use the sharp end of an Artbar to draw the patchwork landscape below the plane.


I colour the landscape in shades of green, the same way I would with normal wax crayons.


Then I paint over the coloured areas with clean water.


I add clouds in the sky with a dry bar.


This too, is painted over with water.


The completed picture.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment