Search This Blog

Tuesday 25 September 2018

How to draw: A Parasaurolophus

I recently went shopping at the famous art shop in Rosebank, Herbert Evans. They were having their annual sale, and a friend and I made an outing of it. When I arrived home with some newly purchased pens, I could hardly wait to put them to the test. My disappointment was great when I discovered that most of the pens I had bought were dry! Today's drawing of a Parasaurolophus was intended to be coloured in a great many shades, but I could simply not get the rest of the pens to work. The restrictions aside, I show you how to go about this simple pen sketch in today's blog.


Start with a sheet of white paper and a pencil.


Draw a large oval for the body. A triangle with an extended side, forms the head.


Draw the tail and mark the tops of the legs with two cicular shapes. Draw the top of the neck.


Draw the legs and the bottom of the neck. Draw the curve in the tail.


Draw the outline of the feet. Draw the detail on the head.


Draw the detail on the feet and the folds in the neck.


Redraw the parasaurolophus in brown ink. Add the folds for the body, for instance at the knees, etc.


Erase the pencil lines.


Use a dark green in the darkest areas of the body.


Use a lighter shade for the highlighted areas of the body.


I barely managed to scrape some colour out of this silver pen, after having discarded four other pens!


I was then forced to use the same green for the foreground and background of the picture.


I was also forced to use the same brown for the shadow areas. Neither of these last two choices were fortunate for the drawing.


The final drawing left me feeling highly dissatisfied!


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment