Search This Blog

Friday 28 September 2018

Cardmaking: Cats from Circles

I continue the series on making cards using circular shapes in today's blog. I use semi-circles to make a trio of cats from paper cutouts. I then add some detail with a pen and, in no time at all, I have an inexpensive and cute card, to present to one of my many cat-crazy friends on their next birthday.


I have cut some squares from my sheet of orange cardboard. I now trim the edge straight by cutting the cut side away. Retain this off-cut as we will use it in a future project.


Fold the sheet in half to form a card.


My compass is still in storage with some of my other art materials. As a result, I am forced to use a kitchen dish to draw a circle on a sheet of blue cardboard.


This is what the circle looks like when I remove the dish.


I only need half a circle and don't wish to waste cardboard. Therefore, I erase one half of the circle so as to not cut more than I need from the cardboard. Use the blue semicircle to cut two similar semicircles from red and green.


Cut out the semicircle.


I use the lid of a glue stick to draw two overlapping circles.


I form these two overlapping circles into an ellipse by connecting the circles with straight lines.


Cut out the ellipse and then use it to cut two similar ellipses from red and green.


Cut two small triangles for the cat's ears from the blue. Do the same in red and green.


Draw a tail on the blue and cut it out. Do the same in green and red.


Use glue or double-sided tape to stick the shapes in place on the card. Notice how the cat at the bottom run over the side of the card.


Trim this away.


Use a white marker to draw the eyes of the cats.


Draw the pupils, noses, mouths and whiskers of the cats with a black marker.


The completed card.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment