Search This Blog

Saturday 19 March 2016

Three Not So Little Pigs Fabric Painting Project Using Dala's Range of Products

I am not sure that everyone is familiar with Dala's range of fabric painting mediums. I know I had a lot to learn about this until recently. In the meantime, I have had an absolute ball of a time learning about ways in which to use it and it has opened a world of new possibilities to me. In today's blog I paint three (not so little) pigs on fabric, using these different mediums to introduce all of you to this wonderful new world that has opened up to me.


I had only tiny pieces of sheeting left over and have not had a chance to get to the fabric shop yet, but I could not wait to start playing, so the tiny pieces of fabric would have to do. I used the Three Not So Little Pigs designs from the Digital Downloads collection in APrettyTalent.com and redrew them by hand onto the fabric in an HB pencil.




I then used the Dala Fabric Markers for the next step of the process. These come packaged as a set and is capable of marvelously accurate work. It sets when ironed and are permanent thereafter. Brilliant!


I used the black marker to draw the detail on the face and trotters of the sow.


Then I used the Dala Fabric Liner, sold individually, to draw the outline of the sow. Here is yet another brilliant product to achieve great accuracy. You can control line width fairly easily, but if you make the line rather thick and allow it time to dry, you will find it extremely easy to paint inside the lines later.


I then went back to the Dala Fabric Markers and used the Blue one to color the eyes of the sow.


Putting the sow aside to wait for the Dala Fabric Liner to dry, I turned my attention to the boar. I again used the Black Dala Fabric Marker to outline the face and trotters, while using the Blue to color the eyes.


The boar's body was also outlined with Dala Fabric Liner and it was put aside to dry.


The last design is a favourite of mine, showing only the cheeky bottom and tail of a pig, otherwise buried in the mud. This outline was drawn with Dala Fabric Liner.


The muddy blotches on the pig's bottom was then traced with the Black Dala Fabric Marker and it was set aside to dry.


Turning my attention back to the sow, I painted the outline of the pig with Dala Fabric Paint in Fucia, making short little strokes starting on the line and moving slightly into the drawing. That line I drew with the Dala Fabric Liner made this a very quick and easy job to do as it made it so simple to stay within the lines.


I then painted over the Fucia and further into the body of the pig with Dala Fabric Paint in Watermelon. I left only two white areas where the brightest highlights would be.


I used Dala Fabric Paint in Pink to cover the last white areas and a small space immediately surrounding it. The nose of the sow was also painted Pink.


I then used Dala Fabric Paint in Black to paint the trotters, the nostrils and the pupils.


White Dala Fabric paint was used on the eyes as well as the sparkles in the eyes.


Lastly, I used the Red Dala Fabric Marker to color the tongue of the sow. She was then put aside to dry.


I followed the exact same method to paint the boar and won't bother repeating the steps in words, but I will include the photos so as to avoid any confusion. I'll also simply name the product(s) used in each step. Here I used Dala Fabric Paint Fucia.


Dala Fabric Paint Watermelon.


Dala Fabric Paint Pink.


Dala Fabric Paint Black.


Dala Fabric Paint White.


Dala Fabric Marker Red.


The third design followed the same method up to a point. Again I started with Dala Fabric Paint Fucia.


Dala Fabric Paint Watermelon.


Dala Fabric Paint Pink.


Instead of painting the mud a predictable Brown, I opted for a friendlier Dala Fabric Paint in Ochre.


I then drew the ripples in the mud with the Dala Fabric Liner in Yellow, going over the lines a second time in Black.


These ripples were then also painted in Dala Fabric Paint Ochre.


I followed the same procedure with the other two designs to add some mud ripples around their trotters. I started with the Dala Fabric Liners in Yellow and Black.


This was followed by Dala Fabric Paint Ochre.


Dala Fabric Liners Yellow and Black, followed by Dala Fabric Paint Ochre.


I then used Dala Fabric Paint Jade to paint the background surrounding the pigs.




Once the paint was dry, I redrew the most prominent lines on the faces of the pigs in Dala Fabric Liner Black.


I did the same thing with the face of the boar.


I also did this with the mud blotches on the pig's behind.


When I brought out the Dala Fabric Spray things got really interesting. I only used Violet for today's project.


I put a stencil on the spot where I wanted to create a 'tattoo' on the pig's bottom. Then I had to make sure that ALL the other areas surrounding this spot was completely covered. This spray will create a very wide radius of spray. You also can not hold it closer to the fabric to create a narrower radius, or it will spray in blotches rather than a fine mist.


I sprayed the color onto the stencil and then carefully removed the items covering rest of the design. Can you see the outline of my hand where I held the stencil down? The Dala Fabric Spray will not wash off with water. I had to clean my hand with Lacquer Thinners, allowing me to believe that it is more of an ink than a paint. This is good news for the permanency of the product!


My first design was now finished.


I followed the same procedure to add the second tattoo.


This is the second design finished.


This left only the boar to get a tattoo. I once again followed the same procedure.


And that was the last of the three designs finished.


I am not 100% sure what I want to do with these yet, but when I do use them, I'll be sure to blog about it and let you in on the fun. Better yet, drop me a couple of suggestions!


Before I go, check out this cute anime:

https://goo.gl/photos/fawmBTqUrLSafC4t9

For more crafty ideas and great products, visit APrettyTalent.com.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment