Search This Blog

Saturday 12 March 2016

Giving Some Inherited Cake Tins a New Jacket with Chalk Paint and Decoupage

I can not even remember where these cake tins came from originally, but my grandmother got them from someone and decided to pass them on to me when I was putting up house years ago. They have taken so many knocks through the years that they have become quite shabby looking. Add to that the fact that their pictures on them are out of date, it is clear to see that it is time for a makeover. In today's blog I use chalk paint and decoupage to give them a new lease on life.


This is the 'before' shot of the sorry-looking tins.


As my cake tins are in constant use and continuously suffer the visits of small and clumsy hands, I need to make sure that they will be able to withstand some abuse. For this reason, I make sure to give them a solid base to start from. I paint them with Universal Undercoat, using a wide flat brush.


The undercoat will need to dry completely before you can continue working.


By the way, I noticed that some of the bristles on my brush were bent over. Once the brush has been cleaned in thinners and afterwards in warm soapy water, I bind the wet bristles together with masking tape to get the wayward bristles in check. The sticky side of the masking tape faces outward (not toward the bristles) and the tape sticks to itself.


I will be using VanDaniQue Chalk Paint to paint the tins with. This time I use a smaller flat brush to apply the paint.


Apply the first coat of paint and allow to dry. My choice of color for today's project is Petit Fours.


Once the first layer is dry, apply a second layer. I will not need a third layer, as my Universal Undercoat also serves as a layer and the original designs on the tin have now been completely covered.


I then find some cute pictures to decoupage onto the tins. I test the layout and play around until I am satisfied with the results.


I will use Dala's Acrylic Gel Medium to decoupage the pictures onto the tins. This medium delivers the same results as Modge Podge.


I paint a thick layer of Acrylic Gel Medium onto the back of the pictures. Then I stick the pictures onto their desired places on the tins.


When all the pictures are stuck down, I paint the whole tin with the Gel Medium.


Normally when doing decoupage, you would only paint over the pictures. However, I am using the Acrylic Gel Medium to seal not only the pictures, but also the chalk paint.


Allow the Gel Medium to dry completely before closing the lids, or you may have to pry them open afterwards. I'd advise waiting a good 24 hours to make sure the medium looses all stickiness.


Does that not look a whole lot better? Instead of hiding the tins away, they can now once again enjoy a prominent place in the kitchen.


For more crafty ideas and great products, visit APrettyTalent.com.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment