Search This Blog

Tuesday 13 November 2018

Summary of Food Blogs 201-250

I have had numerous requests from individuals for recipes that were published in the past. A couple of people have asked that I publish all of them in a book, and others have suggested a compilation blog, with links to the kitchen blogs only. I'll keep the book idea on ice for now, but here is the fifth installment of the summary blogs in the meantime. Links, photos, and introductory paragraphs all included. Enjoy!
Recipe Blogs 51-100
Recipe Blogs 101-150
Recipe Blogs 151-200
Recipe Blogs 201-250

Blog 201 - Bake A Sweetcorn & Onion Loaf Using A Sourdough Starter
"Today's loaf should not be confused with traditional corn bread. Rather, it is a normal everyday loaf that has been flavoured with sweetcorn and fried onions to make it a tad more interesting. We also add a bit of fresh paprika on top of using our sourdough starter to make it rise. As always, alternative raising agents are discussed in the recipe. This is a wonderful alternative to your normal bread that will have everyone coming back for seconds."


Blog 202 - Making Green Fig Jam
"With all the rain we've been having, the fruit trees in the back garden, is competing with each other to see which can produce the biggest, the juiciest, and the most fruit. The fig tree might just be winning the race. Sadly, a large branch broke off due to the weight of the fruit and we had to recover whatever fruit we could from it. This is an excellent opportunity to make old-fashioned green fig jam. I learn with you in today's blog, allowing my mom's wisdom and experience to lead the way."


Blog 203 - Preserving Apple Slices
"With the figs turned into jam, it became urgent to devote some attention to the apple tree, which was also straining under the weight of its own fruit. My mom and I sliced these apples into thin slices, before bottling them for the winter, when our willing tree is bare. I show you step by step how easy this is to do in today's blog."


Blog 204 - Making Apple & Rhubarb Chutney
"We had a couple of small pieces of apple left over from the when we were bottling our apples, in the previous blog. I decided to turn these into chutney, using the rhubarb in the front garden to add more dimension to the chutney. This chutney is packed with flavour, and promises to be a firm favorite with those who do not like onions."


Blog 205 - Preparing Pizza Bases To Freeze For Later Use
"I recently went on a rather extended trip that would keep me away from home for a few weeks. My mom was very upset as she and my dad had become quite hooked on the homemade pizzas I had blogged about earlier. I had a substantial amount of sourdough starter to use and decided to make her some pizza bases that she could keep in the freezer until ready for use. I show you how easy this is to do in today's blog."


Blog 206 - Making Old-Fashioned Brawn
"When I was recently in Botswana, visiting some fabulous friends, I was invited to photograph a number of dishes prepared by an excellent cook. One of these dishes was of my friend cooking brawn. This is one of those dishes that everybody used to be able to make and nowadays very few people actually know how to do. I ran for the camera and am happy to bring you an old-fashioned dish revived for a new generation."


Blog 207 - Making Your Own Butter At Home
"I have mentioned before that I have been invited to visit some friends in Botswana who stay on a dairy farm. This means that they have access to lots of milk and cream. My friend, Louise, being a really good cook, who loves experimenting in the kitchen, it did not take her long to start trying out all sorts of recipes and delicatessens with the milk and cream. In today's blog I show you how she makes butter the old-fashioned way. You can also do this at home!"


Blog 208 - Baking Magwinya's In Botswana
"I love discovering new foods when I travel and my recent travels to Botswana did not disappoint. Upon arrival in the country, barely a kilometre from the border gate, we stopped to buy Magwinya's from the cafe. The best way to describe this local staple food, is call it a sweet vetkoek. However, it is perfectly round, like a ball! We had these a few more times before I became determined to learn how to make them. Where to find an expert? The answer was closer to hand than I would have expected. Learn how to make Magwinya's with me in today's blog, while I entertain you with the inspiring story of the young girl who taught me how to make them."


Blog 209 - Learning To Make Cottage Cheese
"When visiting friends who own a dairy farm in Botswana recently, my friend Louise agreed to share some of her cheese-making tips with me. In today's blog, I show you how she makes cottage cheese. This is so easy that you can effortlessly do this at home as well."


Blog 210 - Making Yogurt At Home
"Louise, my friend on the dairy farm in Botswana, was gracious enough to share her secret for making yogurt at home with me when I was visiting. I photographed the process to share with you in my blog. I show you this relatively simple process in today's blog, before taking it one step further in tomorrow's blog."


Blog 211 - Making Labneh Balls At Home
"Labneh balls are made from soft cheese or yogurt and has middle eastern origins. It is a delicatessen that can be found in most well-stocked deli's, but it is also something you can make quite easily at home. My friend in Botswana, Louise, showed me how she turned her homemade yogurt into Labneh. Now let me share with you what she taught me."


Blog 212 - Baking Old-Fashioned Waffles
"Who does not have nostalgic memories of eating waffles as a child? I remember that my favourite used to be waffles drenched in syrup and loaded with ice cream. These days I prefer a savoury waffle to a sweet one, but the basic recipe remains the same. I show you how to quickly whip up a batch of good ole waffles in today's blog."


Blog 213 - Baking A Lemon Mousse Cake
"This year my 10 year old niece volunteered herself to bake the cake for my birthday. I readily agreed, but not wanting her to it make her mom's problem, I told her to come bake it at my house. She pitched up and the two of us sat down to decide what to bake. I decided to challenge her a bit and told her we should bake a lemon mousse cake. She agreed and then insisted I get the camera to share the steps in a blog. So here goes!"


Blog 214 - Baking A Fruit Jelly Roulade
"Finding great joy in teaching my niece how to bake, I figured it was about time she learned how to bake a Swiss roll or roulade. She was thrilled at this prospect. She paged through my book and finally settled on a cake she liked. We did not have the necessary filling, but I told her we could make our own fruit jelly filling. The result of this is that I show you how to make both a roulade, as well as a fruit jelly in today's blog."


Blog 215 - Making Cheese-Based Savoury Fillings For Waffles And Pancakes
"My niece had baked me two lovely cakes to celebrate my birthday, but I still needed to make a savoury alternative. I decided that the rainy weather called for pancakes! Then I decided that I may as well make some waffles while I was at it. The only thing left to do, was to make two fillings for the waffles and pancakes. I show you how to make the two fillings, as well as the waffles and pancakes in today's blog."


Blog 216 - Making Pap & Potjiekos
"Potjiekos, for my readers unfamiliar with South Africa, is a stew prepared in a heavy cast iron pot, usually over an open fire. It is then slow cooked, giving the meat enough time to tenderize. The stew/potjie, is traditionally eaten with Samp (crushed corn) pap (comparable to polenta) rice, or even mashed potatoes. I show you how to cook both pap and a no nonsense potjie in today's blog."


Blog 217 - Baking A Meal-In-One Pot Pie
"For today's blog, I make a pot pie that is a whole meal in one. You can prepare it beforehand and keep it in the freezer until the day you need it, or you can have it immediately as a wonderfully convenient meal. However you serve this, the family is bound to love it! I find it very convenient to make a couple of these ahead of time and to freeze it for when life gets too busy to prepare regular healthy meals. The first school term is usually filled with these days when the kids have sport activities and other extra-murals to attend to. Delicious, wholesome and healthy, this Meal-In-One Pot Pie is a winner with my family."


Blog 218 - Baking An Half & Half Italian Herb Loaf
"I did not have any sourdough starter when I baked today's loaf and was forced to make use of yeast as raising agent. That aside, this delicious loaf of bread is simply irresistible with its half white and half brown bread flour, flavored with traditional Italian herbs."


Blog 219 - Making Traditional Greek Moussaka
"Moussaka is one of those dishes that you immediately fall in love with. It has all the right ingredients for comfort food, consisting of potatoes, mince meat, and cheese. Add the lovely flavour of aubergines, and it doesn't get any better. In today's blog, I show you how to make a traditional Greek Moussaka."


Blog 220 - Baking A Corned Meat Savoury Tart
"All of us love a savoury tart, and I am sure you must too. I do not know where today's recipe originated from, it was given to my by a friend as a photocopy. However, it is one of the quickest, easiest and tastiest savoury tart recipes out there, so I am happy to share it with you in today's blog."


Blog 221 - Preparing Marinades For A Braai
"Most often when we decide to braai (barbecue), it is a spur of the moment event and there is no time to marinade the meat. However, every so often, we actually plan the meal ahead of time and then we go all out on the marinades. I share three different marinades with you in today's blog, that can be made from ingredients most kitchens will have readily available. I also share a secret for cooking pumpkin on the braai. Don't miss this one, especially if you are a true braai fanatic, as I am."


Blog 222 - Grandma's Apple Pie
"All of a sudden this morning I developed a craving for apple pie. But not just any apple pie. I wanted a specific apple pie that my grandma used to bake on occasion. I found her recipe folder and started paging through the myriad of cutouts, scribbles, tear-outs and side notes, before finally stumbling across the fading handwritten recipe that I was looking for. I show you how to bake this nostalgic recipe from my gran's folder in today's blog."


Blog 223 - Bacon & Onion Rigatoni
"I love Italian food and today's recipe belongs straight in this genre, even if it is my own.  We use the bulky and sturdy rigatoni as the base for today's dish and then add the all time favourite bacon and onions to add flavour. Some traditional spices and flavourings are added to enhance the taste, along with traditional tomatoes. All that is then left to add is the surprise element that will ad both taste, an important nutritional element, as well as assisting to enhance the appearance of the dish. Let me walk you through this quick and easy dish that took me only half an hour to put on the table."


Blog 224 - Beef Goulash Crock Pot
"The weather is turning colder and it that time of the year when we start making soups and stews again. This is the ideal time to rediscover the slow-cooker, or crock pot, as it is also known. Today I show you how to make a wholesome Goulash stew that has been fortified with lentils and beans. Loads of veggies are of course essential, as well."


Blog 225 - Brew Your Own Spiced Tea For Colds & Flu
"I had been struggling with a tight chest and incessant coughing for going on two weeks when I finally couldn't take it any more. I lay in bed and wondered what more I could do to put an end to all of this when a recipe for spiced tea came to mind. I tried it and immediately felt relief. I am not claiming that it has healing properties, merely that it should bring you relief. I share this recipe with you in today's blog. Bonus is that it is actually delicious and now my guests ask for it simply for its taste value when they come to visit."


Blog 226 - Making Tomato Jam In Namaqualand
"When visiting friends in Namaqualand recently, I quickly made lots of new friends as well. One of these wanted us to cook some tomato jam together as she had not done this on a larger scale yet. The jam was intended for the local coffee shop, called The Shack. I show you how to make your own tomato jam in today's blog, but feel free to stop by The Shack in Hondeklipbaai when next you are in town and try the delicatessen's available from there as well. These are made by people from the community and sold in The Shack as consignment stock to try to improve the living conditions of the local residents."


Blog 227 - Baking A Namaqualand Seed Loaf Using A Sourdough Starter
"Being invited to spend three months in Hondeklipbaai in breathtaking Namaqualand during the wildflower season, is a dream come true. I figured it would leave me plenty of time to write, paint and bake, while not neglecting exploring the surrounds either. With this in mind, I set out to get a sourdough starter going. You can read all about this in a blog I published previously: Making a Sourdough Starter. In today's blog I wish t share a recipe I developed here in my friend's kitchen while she was traveling Europe. I call it my Namaqualand Seed Loaf. I used the sourdough starter as a raising agent."


Blog 228 - Baking A Cranberry & Almond Loaf Using A Sourdough Starter
"I am still staying in Hondeklipbaai on lovely Namaqualand and having a ball discovering what is available in my friend's kitchen. She gave me free reign over items which would only grow old while she's away and among these I found some almond flakes and dried cranberries. These would be prefect to add to a loaf and it was high time I baked something again. In today's blog, I share the steps for baking this delicious Cranberry & Almond Flake Loaf."


Blog 229 - Baking Roosterkoek Over The Coals
"Spending time in Hondeklipbaai in beautiful Namaqualand is bringing back memories of long forgotten favourites. I have made friends with the woman cleaning the house I am staying at and she is an absolute gem of a person. Her daughter also stays on the premises and the other day Hetta called me to go see what Kyna was doing. I arrived in time to see Kyna baking roosterkoek (buns) on the coals. I immediately knew that this would be the topic of my next blog. Today we use our sourdough starter to bake roosterkoeke."


Blog 230 - Baking A Poppy Seed Wheel Using A Sourdough Starter
"Some of my new friends here in Namaqualand called up to invite me to spend the day with them in Namaqua National Park. They then suggested we pack a light picnic to take along for the day. Who am I to refuse such an offer? Not this girl! I immediately accepted the invite and then started planning what I could take along for the picnic. Home-baked bread seemed like just the thing. As I did not want us to struggle with slicing bread, I decided the best idea would be to bake several buns in the form of a wheel, making it easy to carry with us. To make it a little more interesting, I added poppy seeds and buttermilk. I use a sourdough starter as raising agent and to add flavour. You can read all about this in a blog I published previously: Making a Sourdough Starter. In today's blog I show you how to bake a Poppy Seed Wheel."


Blog 231 - Baking A Chocolate & Chili Loaf Using A Sourdough Starter
"It is old news that chocolates and chilies go well together, so I do not claim to have developed any new and fab taste combination. What inspired this bread was a friend who simply mentioned that she would like to try this combo in a bread 'someday'. I thought it was a brilliant idea and this is how it came about that I developed today's recipe.  (I use a sourdough starter as raising agent as well as to add flavour. You can read all about this in a blog I published previously: Making a Sourdough Starter)."


Blog 232 - Making Sweet Potato Soup
"I was visiting a friend who was feeling a bit under the weather, when her mom pitched up with a large pot of soup. It turned out to be Sweet Potato Soup, and as soon as I've tasted it, I knew I would have to obtain the recipe from her. She was more than happy to share it with me. Being away from home in Hondeklipbaai, I was left with some lovely sweet potatoes and when the weather turned cold, I longed for that recipe that I had left at home. There was only one thing to do - contact Tannie Marieta to get the recipe from her again! She was an absolute star and sent it to me, so that I can share this lovely recipe with all of you today. I had to swap out some ingredients for what I had on hand, but you'll get the gist of it."


Blog 233 - Baking A Breakfast Loaf Using A Sourdough Starter
"Searching through the kitchen cabinets of the house I'm staying in for something interesting to add to my next loaf, I came across some oats. I recalled the fruit and nuts that was available and very quickly settled on the idea of baking a delicious breakfast loaf. I once again used my sourdough starter as a raising agent. You can read all about this in a blog I published previously: Making a Sourdough Starter). I give instructions for using alternatives as well."


Blog 234 - West Coast Oxtail Potjiekos With Muscadel
"I am still on my extended stay here in Hondeklipbaai on the West Coast of South Africa. I have had numerous invites to eat with new friends and have watched them closely in their food preparations. Discovering a pack of oxtail in the freezer, I decided to make my own version of West Coast Potjiekos with what was available in the house. It turned out fab. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!"


Blog 235 - Baking A Garden Herb Loaf Using A Sourdough Starter
"It is always interesting to discover what other people keep in their pantries, and to then try to cook or bake with their ingredients. I find it even more fun when they keep vegetable and/or herb gardens. I am on an extended stay in Hondeklipbaai in Namaqualand at a friend's house while she is gallivanting overseas. As I am already in the habit of baking my own bread, I simply continued to do during my stay, having grown my own sourdough starter. You can read more about this in an earlier blog: Making a Sourdough Starter). In today's blog I show you how I incorporated the fresh garden herbs in my loaf."


Blog 236 - Baking A Blue Rock & Onion Braid Using A Sourdough Starter
"I discovered a small piece of Blue Rock cheese in the fridge and immediately knew that I wanted to use this in the bread that I intended to bake. Adding some chopped onion, seemed the most natural thing in the world to do, and so I did. I added a couple more interesting ingredients to enhance the flavour, which had me waiting impatiently at the oven door for the bread to be ready, as the whole house was filled with wafts of deliciousness. I once again used a sourdough starter as raising agent. (You can read more about this in an earlier blog: Making a Sourdough Starter). In today's blog, I share ideas for baking a delicious savoury braid with you."


Blog 237 - Baking Custard Cookies
"I promised a friend I would get her some homemade cookies from the local bazaar, but ended up not going. I dislike going back on my word, and felt obliged to make up for it. There was nothing left to do, but to quickly whip up a batch of cookies myself. My grandmother used to make the most delicious old-fashioned custard cookies, and they are still a firm favourite with the whole family. In today's blog I show you how to make these cookies in no time at all."


Blog 238 - Making Almond Fudge In The Microwave
"Yesterday I went for a long walk, along with Luke and Fudge, the dogs. We set out in bright sunlight, but returned in bitter cold weather that had all three of us dashing for the heater. Such is the weather here in Hondeklipbaai on the West Coast. Anyway, all the way home, as I was freezing, I kept thinking how nice it would be to have something sweet. And all this time I had Fudge, the dog, in my sight. It was a small leap to decide to make fudge as soon as I got home. But this is not the time to do it on the stove top. No! It was time for the quick and easy microwave recipe that everyone is making these days. I added a little twist by adding some almond flakes. If you do not have this recipe yet, then today's blog is for you."


Blog 239 - Baking A Wholegrain Goji Loaf Using A Sourdough Starter
"I was nearing the end of my stay in Hondeklipbaai and knew I had to wrap things up. There was still time left before I had to go to bake another loaf, though. This time I wanted to add a lot of roughage and grains to the loaf, as well as some berries to give it more taste and make it a healthier alternative to the usual breads. When I was done, I gave the remaining sourdough starter to Hetta, the lady cleaning the house, who have been an enthralled observer ever since I started baking. If you've missed the blog on making your own sourdough starter, you can find it by clicking on the title here: Making a Sourdough Starter."


Blog 240 - Build A Port Edward Special
"When I was small, we would often visit the coastal town of Port Edward during the winter holidays. I remember one of Mom's treats on these holidays, was to buy some kind of special bread, which she would slice open and fill with all kinds of goodies. It would then be wrapped in foil and placed in the oven for those flavours to blend and bake through. This treat became known as the 'Port Edward Special' in the family and the tradition still prevails. In today's blog I share some ideas for building your own Port Edward Special."


Blog 242 - Making A Beetroot & Pear Salad
"The days are turning warm and all of a sudden we want to have salads again. Today I share a recipe with you that is packed with goodness and brimming with vitamins and minerals. It is healthy, delicious and it looks good too. Best of all is that none of the veggies that go into the salad, are cooked, saving you loads of time on the prepping."


"The members of my family recently bought vegetable combo packs from their local green grocer. Included in the combos, were handfuls of chilies. As no one in my family cooks with chilies, aside from myself, I was instantly rewarded with all of their combined chili purchases. As I already had a good stash of dried out chilies, I decided to preserve these latest additions in oil. I show you how to go about this in today's blog."


Blog 244 - School Holiday Project: Making Coconut Ice
"In the previous blog I told you how my niece helped me to make chili preserve. When we were done, she still felt like making something in the kitchen. I thought it was time to make something that everyone could enjoy, but which wouldn't take too long to make. Coconut ice seemed to be just the thing to appeal to everyone. This is a very simple recipe to do with youngsters of any age."


Blog 245 - Baking Muffin Tin Quiche
"It had been a busy day and I had clean run out of time to make dinner. Fortunately, just as I was about to start, my niece arrived to announce that she felt like baking. I immediately decided to combine her idea of baking with my need to prepare dinner and the two of us quickly put together these muffin tin quiches for dinner. They are simply delicious and remain a quick fix to many a culinary dilemma."


Blog 246 - Making Roosterkoeke On The Braai
"The family was all going to come over for a braai, and as per our custom, we went all out with the preparations. I decided to make us some roosterkoeke for the occasion, but this time I borrowed a recipe from the trusted Kook en Geniet recipe book. I show you how to bake the ordinary noenmaalrolle on the kettle braai in today's blog. These turned out so good, that my carnivorous family went back for seconds on the bread!"


Blog 247 - Growing Your Own Garlic
"When I was in Hondeklipbaai towards the end of last year, I found it a struggle to find the things I'm used to have handy in the city. This location is so remote, that one has to adjust and learn to make do without. One day, one of the local women came to visit and, spotting some garlic in the kitchen, told me she could teach me to grow my own. I was intrigued, and even though it was not my garden, I decided to nurse some garlic into life, with the help of my new friend. I share what I have learned in today's blog."


Blog 248 - Yams!
"I am teaching once again. The school where I started out as a young teacher was in desperate need of an English teacher and I agreed to go help out. It turned out that the Grade 11's were doing Chinua Achebe's book Things Fall Apart as their prescribed reader. In this book, the main character, Okonkwo, grows yams, a staple food in Nigeria, the setting of the book. I had never seen or tasted a yam and had a hard time explaining to the kids what this was. The other day I walked into my local greengrocer, and they had yams on the shelf! I immediately bought one, at much to high a price, to show to my pupils. Then I returned home with it and experimented with cooking it. Join me today on a taste exploration of yams!"


Blog 249 - Making A Hearty Vegetable Soup In The Slow Cooker
"I am in the process of moving into a new house in Alberton, as I have taken up a teaching job here. This does not leave me with a lot of time to prepare food. With this in mind, and as it is winter, I decided to chop up a huge amount fresh veggies. I used half of this to make myself a huge pot of soup, which I can freeze and defrost for convenient healthy meals. The other half of the veggies were frozen as is to be used in a soup or stew on another day. I show you how to make yourself such a hearty vegetable soup in today's blog with which to chase away the winter blues."


Blog 250 - Bacon & Corn Muffins
"It was time for a tea party to celebrate the fact that I had moved into a new place. Who better to invite than the friends who have been a part of my life since varsity? We got together one Saturday morning, and I quickly rummaged through the house to find something to bake. My thoughts settled on Bacon and Corn Muffins. These turned out very deliciously. Fortunately, I had taken photos of the steps and am therefore able to share this recipe with you."


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment