Search This Blog

Wednesday 14 November 2018

Cardmaking: Butterflies on Black

I was inspired by a card I found on Pinterest for today's blog. I just absolutely love butterflies and tend to use these often in my art and crafts. As a matter of fact, the main characters in my first children's story, were also butterflies. I show you how to make this simple and cheap card in today's blog. This is a very versatile card that can effectively be used for birthdays, to say thank you, get better, to declare your love for someone, etc. I love having handy cards like these at the ready.


To begin today's project, I steal a fullscap page from my  art journal. This black paper is thick and sturdy and will serve well as a card.


I also use a sheet of purple paper from a paper pad I have.


I trim the paper 15 mm smaller all around.


Then I apply double-sided tape to it.


I stick this paper down on the inside of the card.


I draw a couple of swirly butterflies on the cover of the card, using a white chalk pencil.


Then I use soft pastel bars to colour the butterflies.


I use a white pastel bar and a charcoal pencil to add detail to the butterflies.


Then I use alternative colours to colour the detail on the wings of the butterflies.


With the colours established, I now spray fixative over the butterflies to prevent them from smudging.


I am now going to add rhinestones to the bodies of the butterflies. I use Tombow glue to attach the rhinestones.


Tiny dots of glue is all that is needed to glue the rhinestones in place.


I now open the card up and use a craft knife to cut the black paper away from the butterflies.


This is what the card looks like when I am done.


You can also watch a video of these steps here: https://youtu.be/5oyN4XJN6ZA


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment