Search This Blog

Friday 16 November 2018

Art Journal: Wading Through Deep Waters

I have discovered in life that most of life's challenges are easier to face if we don't have to do it alone. Having a friend or two at your side when you are facing deep waters, makes the wading through seem so much easier. Today's art journal blog is a tribute to great friendships and good friends.


We begin today's blog on black paper and use a tinted white charcoal pencil to draw the picture with.


I start with the legs and bottoms of the three figures.


Then I draw their upper bodies.


I add their heads and the water.


I colour their bathing costumes and swimming caps with soft pastels.


I take my time to add detail to the clothing.


I then colour the bodies, making sure to give each them a different skin tone. After all, none of us look the same.


Now it is time to colour the water.


I colour white over the lower parts of their legs to make it seem as if they are standing in the translucent water.


Then I use a white pastel to draw the foam/concentric rings around their legs and the highlights on the figures.


Shadows and detail is added with a charcoal pencil.


I prevent the picture from smudging by spraying it with fixative.


I use a white chalk pencil to write the journalling: "When we have to face life's deep waters, it is always better to have one or two friends by your side. - Miekie"


The final picture.


You can also watch a short compilation video of the steps above here:
https://youtu.be/N7wTLFMi0vA


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment