Search This Blog

Sunday 25 November 2018

Re-Decorating A Store-Bought Cake

My mom turned 70 and I had every intention in the world to spoil her on her big day. One of the ideas I had, was to get my nieces to help me bake her a special cake for the day. To my great disappointment, I arrived home to find that the oven was no longer functional! I had to come up with a very quick alternative. I opted to buy two rather plain-looking store-bought cakes and splashed out on things to decorate these with. I show how I transformed two ordinary cakes into a 70th birthday cake, in today's blog.


I bought two bunt cakes (cakes with a hole in the middle. One was a choc-mint cake. This one I sliced into chunky slices.


I then rearranged the slices into a number 7 and placed it next to the other cake, which then automatically looked like a 0. The second cake was a carrot cake.


I then removed some of the icing from the choc-mint cake and lathered some chocolate mousse on, instead.


I also cut the carrot cake into slices, but left it intact.


Then I whipped up some cream, which I had sweetened with castor sugar after adding a teaspoonful (5 ml) of vanilla essence. I covered both cakes in the cream.


My niece and I then carefully arranged some berry-flavoured jelly tots on both the cakes.


We dropped some Hershey's Kisses in the circle of the carrot cake.


We lathered the tray with the remaining cream.


Then we arranged fresh strawberries all around the cakes. These cakes proved to be a big hit with the family.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment