Search This Blog

Thursday 25 August 2016

Painting Tatty Teddies In Oil Colours Part 2 of 2

I started with a blog in two parts yesterday in which I show you how to paint oil paintings for decorative purposes. We are using the ever popular Tatty Teddies as subject matter and in today's blog I allow the background to be a little bit more prominent than was the case with the first blog.
Part 1
Part 2


I prepare two canvasses by painting them green using acrylic paint. This is simply a base colour that will be covered, but it will set a happy tone for the painting and the eye will be able to pick it up subliminally.


I use charcoal to draw the image on the canvas.


I don't want to stick to the conventional grey tones of the tatty teddies and decide to mix my own purple to pain the teddies with. I start by mixing a blue, a red and a green.


Blue and red gives me this.


Adding the green gives me this.


I decide to add white.


The white brings it closer to what I am looking for, but now I want it somewhat darker.


I add Payne's Grey before I am happy with the colour.


I use a palette knife to plaster the paint on quite thick. I then use an old brush, on which the bristles are hard and in disarry. I simply dab with the dry brush on the wet paint, pulling it away with the brush to create this 'curly-haired' texture on the teddies.


I then use black to outline the edges of the teddies so that they will appear more rounded, as well as to define the lines better. I use white to create highlights. The mouths are also painted white, dragging some of the surrounding purple into the white so it does not appear quite so stark. I use a small brush to paint the scars and stitching in black. The noses are painted pink. The patches are painted blue.


I paint the balloon pink with white reflective highlights.


I start off painting the ladder a dark brown, but change my mind about this later on.


When I paint the tree in shades of brown, I decide to add naples yellow to the ladder to make it much lighter than it used to be, allowing it to be more prominent in the picture. This is a fun element and the painting is intended to be a decorative item for a child's room. It therefore suits our purpose to lift the ladder out by making it lighter.


The tree canopy is painted a vibrant green.


The background is then painted a pale blue.



Pale blue patches are added in the tree canopy to give it a less solid appearance.


Once I've signed my name, this painting is done.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy the books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
For more crafty ideas and great products, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment