Search This Blog

Monday 28 November 2016

Whole Chicken Pot On The Kettle Braai (Barbecue)

In the past two blogs I have been sharing recipes and ideas for a braai with you. One of the dishes I prepared on the fire was a lovely green curry chicken in a pot. Whether you make this chicken on the braai, or in the conventional oven, it is sure to be a hit. I share the recipe with you in today's blog.


In a small mixing bowl, I measure 2 tablespoons (25 ml) crushed garlic, 2 tablespoons (25 ml) green curry, 1 teaspoon (5 ml) crushed ginger, 1-2 teaspoons (5-10 ml) crushed chilies and salt & pepper to taste.


Add white wine vinegar and mix well.


Wash and put 2 whole chickens in a pot.


Roughly chop 1 onion and put half an onion inside each bird.


Pour the mixture over the birds and rub them well with the mixture.


Peel 2 onions and 3-4 potatoes. Cut them in halves/quarters and  add them to the pot.


Pour about 2 cups of water into the pot. Avoid washing the flavour off your chickens when you add the water.


I cooked my chickens in a kettle braai once all the food was done. The coals started heating up again as the hard inner parts of the logs started turning to coals. If this does not happen automatically, you can force the heat up again by adding a few twigs. I waited for the heat to reach temperatures above 200 °C and then put my pot with the chickens on the grill. Make sure your pot lines up with the front leg of the braai for even heat distribution. I closed the lid and went inside to enjoy my meal. These chickens will be perfect for tomorrow's dinner. There is more than enough food for today. I simply left the chicken on the grill, only checking the temperature from time to time.


Roughly 2 1/2 hours later, the temperature dwindled to 120 °C. This was when I removed the chicken, as salmonella thrives in temperatures between 60-120 °C. Never leave chicken at those temperatures. The chicken was cooked through and falling off the bone.


I stuck a knife in the chicken to try to demonstrate exactly how tender this chicken was.


See how easily I pull the meat away from the bone? This is a beautifully delicious meal for any chicken lover. Enjoy!


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy the books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
For more crafty ideas and great products, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment