Search This Blog

Saturday 12 November 2016

Using Palette Knives to Paint An Abstract Tree

Abstract art is not to everyone's taste and it certainly isn't my regular style, yet I love to dabble in it from time to time. Today's blog is really a further lesson in the use of palette knives, but I share some ideas for abstract art in the blog.


This is a very small painting that I start on a pre-primed canvas. The canvas is A6 size, or 10,5 x 15 cm.


I choose the primary colours for my canvas. I settle on Periwinkle Blue, Yellow Ochre and Yellow Green.


These colours can be found next to each other on the colour wheel and create a very soothing impression.


I start with the green, making short sideways strokes with my palette knife.


I add the blue.


I will now fill the gaps with Titanium White, leaving the yellow as my focal colour.


I do a bit of blending with the white.


For the trunk of the tree, I choose Raw Umber.


This is applied very thickly on top of the other colours. I work alla prima, or wet on wet, and need to make sure the brown does not mix with the other colours.


I now add the yellow in the same choppy strokes, but in a downward motion.


I touch the brown to the yellow an tiny splashes of colour, almost creating the impression of cubist flowers.


Abstract Tree is available from Marietjie Uys at uys.marietjie@gmail.com. Oil on stretched canvas, A6 size, or 10,5 x 15 cm. R120 Unframed. Artist: Miekie.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy the books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
For more crafty ideas and great products, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment