Search This Blog

Tuesday 10 September 2019

Paint & Paper Decoupage: Book Stash

A while ago I was given a wooden box shaped like a book, by a friend. I have not gotten around to decorating it in all this time, but as I was busy with similar projects in the studio, I decided to include the book box as a project. I used a combination of paint and decoupage to decorate the box and I show you how I added some sparkle to the 'gilded pages' as well.


This is the book-shaped box I was given that I will be working with in this project.


I start by unscrewing the hinges. I keep these, and the screws, safely in a plastic container for later.


I then paint the box with universal undercoat to seal it.


I leave it to dry overnight.


I then use Iris Acrylic paint to pant the box with.


I paint all of the sides of the box that represent the 'pages' of the book, yellow.


I paint the spine and covers of the book blue.


For the blue, I use Dala Craft Paint. Remember to paint the edges of the sides as well.


I then crop decorative paper to fit the 'covers' of the box.


I double-check to make sure the paper will fit the box.


I cut paper for the two covers, as well as the inside flap of the top cover.


Keep checking that the paper fits the box.


This is the paper I will be using on the inside of the box.


I then lather the sides that will be decoupaged with Dala Acrylic Gel Medium.


I carefully lay the paper in place, making sure not to trap any air bubbles underneath.


Then I lather more gel medium over the paper to seal it.


As the top flap is drying, I do the same thing at the bottom of the box.


I lay the paper on top.


I follow up with more Gel Medium.


I now need to do the reverse side of the top flap. I start with Acrylic Gel Medium.


I lay the paper in place.


I follow with more Gel Medium.


I now 'gild' the edges of the pages of my book with Teddy Junior Acrylic Glitter Paint.


I use an awl to open up the holes for the screws.


I open the holes up from both sides.


I screw the hinges back on.


My box is ready to keep my foil rolls.


A better view of the completed box.


You can watch a compilation video of the above steps on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/50qG7jEtjzs


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment