Search This Blog

Wednesday 11 September 2019

Fabric Decoupage: Tissue Box

Ever since moving into the new studio, little over a year ago, I have been irritated by the fact that I had to put up with a plain tissue box while being surrounded by so many pretty things with which to create a beautiful tissue box. I finally bought myself a wooden box and decided to decoupage it with some fabric remnants that a friend had given me. I added some Washi Tape and buttons and ended up with a funky tissue box for my studio. I show you how to do this yourself in today's blog.


I start off with this wooden tissue box.


This is the off-cut piece of fabric I was given by a friend.


I turn the fabric wrong side up and use a pen to trace the sides of the tissue box on the fabric.


Make sure the write the names of the sides in the spaces traced for them, or things might not fit properly afterwards.


I trace all of the sides, making sure that I get as many details of this multi-patterned fabric into the the design.


I cut along the lines to cut the pieces out.


Then I paint the edges of the box black with Iris Acrylic Paint.


I paint all of the edges that will show.


I also paint the inside of the box, as this gives the box a better finish.


Once the paint is dry, I will be using Dala Acrylic Gel Medium to decoupage the fabric with.


I lather the gel medium on very thick, as it is a very thick upholstery fabric that I am working with.


Then I lay the fabric panel on the wet gel medium.


I soak the fabric in more Dala Acrylic Gel Medium to seal and harden the fabric.


When I am done, I leave the box to dry overnight.


This is what the box looks like once it is dry.


I lay Washi tape across the box.


I secure the Washi Tape to the box by sealing it with Dala Acrylic Gel Medium.


I find some funky buttons by Crazy Crafts to glue to the project.


I stick the buttons down with Tombow glue.


I then cut a tissue box open to fit inside the wooden cover.


I place the cover over the tissues.


The completed project.


You can watch a compilation video of the above steps on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/EYBK8gaPY-0


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment