Search This Blog

Friday 25 January 2019

Watercolours: Snowman

In today's blog, I show you how easy it is to draw and paint your own snowman in watercolours. I used these in my Christmas cards when I was done, and they were quite a hit. If you believe you can't draw or paint, this is a good project to get you started, as it is super easy.


The first step when painting with watercolours, is to drop a droplet of water on each pan of paint to get it slightly moist and wet.


I will use Derwent's Aquatone woodless watercolour pencils to draw the snowman with.


I draw the parts that are snow with a blue pencil. Using a watercolour pencil to draw with, means that my lines will wash out when I apply water to them, making them less defined than a grey pencil line.


I then draw his hat and scarf with a red pencil.


His tunic is drawn in green.


Yellow buttons are added, sewn on with red thread.


I draw his face in black, red and orange.


I then paint an uneven blue colour wash on the whole background. To prevent the blue from running into the snowman, I first paint the area around the snowman with water, before adding the paint. It creates a beautiful wash, as well as to restrict the paint to the areas outside the snowman.


I then use my aqua brush, withe the water reservoir in the handle, to paint the reds in the picture.


I then paint the greens.


I paint the snowman blue, leaving some white of the paper to show through. I also paint the and the buttons.


Then I paint the facial detail.


Now it is time to work on the background. I draw brown lines behind the snowman.


Then I dab a fan brush in green paint and, standing it on its tips, I dab it to the paper at the angle of the pine branches.


I come in with at least two more shades of green. You may opt to swap out a green for a yellow if you prefer your forest more sunny.


Then I use a flat brush to add shadows to the forest line, the snow and the snowman.


I define the shadows by adding touches of brown.


Then I use a fine round brush to add shadows to the woolens, the buttons, the face and the snowman.


The final picture.


It was only when I placed the snowman next to his lady friend, that I realised I had never painted an opening in his tunic. I quickly added this. In a follow-up blog, I will show you how to turn this cute pair into cards. Mine was part of my Christmas card collection last year.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment