Search This Blog

Sunday 27 January 2019

Watercolours Landscape

I was simply passing the time during the last days of school last year, when I decided to take my watercolours along. This soon turned into a fun activity with the some of my colleagues joining in. One of the simple paintings I did, was a watercolour landscape. I show you how easy this is to do in today's blog.


The landscape I painted at school had pine trees in it. The pines were painted in the same manner as the ones I painted in the previous blog I did, where I showed you how to paint a snowman. I opted to swap the pines out for palm trees in today's painting, for the sake of variety.


Start your painting on a sturdy piece of paper. I use A5 sized paper. Wet your watercolour palette with drops of water. I will be using a medium sized round brush.


I start my painting by giving the top third of my page a pale blue colour wash. Make it an uneven wash as we will be creating the illusion of clouds in the sky.


Add more blues to create the illusion of the clouds. Note how the clouds all billow out to the top and are even at the bottoms.


I then wash the middle third of the page in uneven brown to create the illusion of earth and mountains or hills.


I add a strip of ochre to the beach area.


The foreground is painted blue to represent the water.


I then define the water by adding colour lines to create the idea of waves.


I soften the line between the beach and the water.


Then is draw tree trunks with dead branches hanging from them.


I add wild green branches.


I add some leaves in the same green.


Then I add some blue leaves to other branches.


I then add brown leaves to more branches.


I add a second green to the branches.


Then I define the hills in the background. I also add shadows to the trees and the ground. This is done with a flat brush.


I add blue to the tops of the hills to turn them into distant mountains.


The completed painting.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment