Search This Blog

Friday 11 January 2019

Paint a Sailor Girl in Acrylics 1/2

I found two very cute pictures on Pinterest of pouting sailor girls. These two pictures appealed to me. I especially enjoyed how the artist had ignored all rules of proportion and simply accentuated the parts that appealed to her. I decided to paint my own two versions of these paintings, simply as a fun exercise in painting. In today's blog, I paint the first of the set of two.


The paintings were to be done on two of these rough canvasses.


I started by drawing the girls with charcoal.


Then I painted only the parts of the canvas that was going to be covered in paint with gesso.


I laid down the basic colour for the hair.


Then I painted the body.


I painted all the areas that would be white with Titanium White.


Then I painted all the blue areas.


I painted the pouting lips.


I added a little black to the eyes and lips.


I added shadows to the blues and whites with a darker blue.


I added highlights to the skin.


I added shadows to the skin.


I added detail to the lips.


I changed the shade of blue used in the eyes ever so slightly.


I added detail to the eyes. I also added highlights to the lips.


I added a dark brown to the hair.


I added a lighter shade of brown to the hair, as well as yellow ochre.


Then I added a very blueish purple to the hair.


The finished painting.


In the next blog, I will show you how to paint the other painting as well.


You can watch a compilation video of the steps shared above on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/siz3a8hMyRs


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment