Search This Blog

Wednesday 9 January 2019

Paint a Horse in Acrylics

I felt a need to break free inside of me, and this reminded me of the power of a horse running free and unbridled through the open fields. I decided that capturing the spirit of that horse on canvas, might fulfill the yearning in my own spirit as well. I show you I went about painting this horse in today's blog.


I started this painting on one of the canvasses I had retrieved from the art department at school's waste pile, where it was thrown away.


Two coats of gesso covered up the discarded painting.


I blotched some paint on the four corners of the canvas.


A lighter shade was blotched inside the first blotches.


I then made blotches on the four sides with black.


Two lighter blotches was made with Buff Titanium.


I then used a large brush to mix the colours on the canvas and to cover the whole canvas in the shades of the blotches and mixes created.


I then used a stencil brush to pick up a little bit of white.


I laid the stencil down in the corner of the canvas.


I stenciled only part of the design in white.


I then repeated these steps in the opposite corner.


This is what the painting looked like at this stage.


I then used charcoal to draw a partial horse on the canvas.


I started by putting in the shaded areas first.


I then added some warm reds.


Dark brown was added.


The light was added with yellow ochre.


Then I added a surprise colour in a very red purple.


I added white.


Then I added dark colours to the mane.


Brown was added to the mane.


Yellow was added to the mane.


Purple was repeated in the mane.


I added white to the mane.


This is what the horse looked like at this stage, yet I was unhappy with the mouth of the horse.


I covered the mouth in white to start over.


I started reshaping the mouth.


I continued the process.


After working the mouth over a bit more, this is what it looked like.


The completed picture.


You can watch a compilation video of these steps on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/8Zgt9e6Y8W4


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment