Search This Blog

Wednesday 23 January 2019

Acrylic Sheep on Decoupage Background

A colleague was having a baby girl and we planned to throw her a baby shower. I wanted to give her something that I had made myself that fitted in with her colour scheme and theme, which was grey and sheep. It seemed a good idea to paint a grey sheep for the little lady's room as part of the decor. I decoupaged the background before painting the sheep in acrylics. I show you how to do this yourself in today's blog.


I did this painting on a wooden boxed canvas.


I painted the whole box with gesso to prepare the surface.


I then selected two sheets of craft paper that I wanted to use as a background for the painting.


I aimed to use Acrylic Gel Medium by Dala to decoupage the paper onto the box. I started by painting the top side of the canvas with the gel medium.


I then carefully positioned the paper on the edge of the box.


I then cut the sides of the paper to fold it in.


I folded the sides of the paper in, using the gel medium to stick it down with.


I then covered the rest of the surface with the gel medium.


I pasted the paper onto the box.


Then I sealed the top of the paper with the gel medium and waited for it to dry before continuing.


I then cut the bottom paper to the required size and shape.


I decoupaged the top sides as before.


Then I decoupaged the botttom of the canvas.


I folded in the sides and sealed the paper with a layer of gel medium.


Once the project was completely dry, I drew the picture on the canvas with a grey pencil. The lines were very light and did not really show on the photo.


I then used gesso and two brushed to paint the whole picture white.


I painted the sheep grey.


The bow was painted in warm shades of purple.


The feet and inner ears were painted bright pink.


The flowers and butterfly were painted in an array of colours. I also added detail to the face.


Everything was then outlined with a black marker to give it a more childlike feel and look.


Heart detail was added to the feet, inner ears and the wings of the butterfly using Sharpie markers.


The finished painting.


You can watch a compilation video of the above steps on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/ePHbDthvfFk


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment