Search This Blog

Tuesday 17 April 2018

Chicken Duo: Rooster 2 In Acrylics

In the previous blog, I showed you how to paint the first of a set of two roosters. I continue with the step by step instructions for painting the second rooster in today's blog. I once again use the rustic surface of rough planks that I used to paint the first rooster on. This makes the painting a little more tricky, as the rough surface keeps pushing the bristles of the brush in awkward directions, but stick to it. The end result is well worth the struggle.


For the second painting, I once again refrain from using gesso to prepare the surface, as I wish for the rough planks to show in places when I am done.


I start with black, mixed with blue to paint half of the background.


I then add mixing white and paint the remainder of the background.


I use a white pencil to draw a rough outline of the rooster on the boards.


I then paint the facial area white.


I paint the feathers white in circular motions.


The longer feathers are painted as lines.


I do not paint all the way to the end of the feathers, as the ends will be darker.


I then paint the facial area red.


I paint the eye and beak orange, as well as the feet.


I use grey to finish the ends of the longer feathers.


The grey is also brought down to create depth in the bottom feathers.


I paint more feathers white, this time in curves running down the body of the chicken.


The bottom ends are painted grey.


I now add luster to the feathers with blue.


I add black to finally darken the feathers.


I add highlights to the face by using yellow and shadows are added with black.


I use red to define the feet.


I use a rigger brush and black paint to define the white feathers.


I use a rigger brush and white paint to define the black feathers.


The completed painting.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment