Search This Blog

Monday 16 April 2018

Chicken Duo: Rooster 1 In Acrylics

I bought two rustic looking paint surfaces made of rough wooden planks. I wanted to paint something that reminded me of the simple things in life that gives me so much joy and pleasure. My choices fell on two roosters. I show you how to paint the first in this series of two roosters in today's blog. I use acrylics as painting medium.


I do not wish to cover the whole board with paint, but rather want some of the rough wood to show when I'm done. For this reason, I do not start by preparing my surface with gesso.


I start with black and also mix a grey with the black and mixing white.


I add a bit of blue to both colours to liven up the black.


I start with the darkest shade on the left of my boards.


I then mix a lighter grey.


I cover the rest of the board with this lighter shade.


I wait for the paint to dry and then I draw a rough outline of a chicken on the board, using charcoal.


I use Titanium White because it is completely opaque.


I paint the chicken in rough brush strokes.


I then paint the red areas surrounding the face.


I do not like how dark the red is against the background. I therefore opt to turn the background white.


I paint over the red with Titanium White.


As I wait for the face area to dry, I add definition to the feathers, using white.


I add even more definition with a rigger brush and black paint.


I then go back to paint the facial area red again.


I pain the beak yellow.


I add black shadow areas.


I add orange highlights.


Then I define the face with more white.


When I look at the rooster the next day, I realize that some of the shadow areas on the face need to be fixed.


The completed painting.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment