Search This Blog

Tuesday 21 June 2016

Sewing A Fringed Scarf

Who has not discovered the magical power that a scarf has of transforming an ordinary outfit into a smart one? In today's blog I show you how to sew your own scarf from leftover fabric after a big project. I then add some fringe to it for the fun factor.


I did not have a long enough piece of fabric left on the fold. This forced me to cut two lengths of fabric that would have to be sewn together, instead.


I laid the two pieces on top of each other, right sides facing and sewed at seam allowance 1,5 cm.


I then opened the seam and rolled it to both sides and pinned it in place.


I sewed up and down both sides of the rolled seam. This gave it a much prettier finish than the open seam did.


I then rolled the hems on both ends of the scarf and pinned it, before sewing it.


The two long sides of the scarf also received rolled hems.


I then pinned fringe to the ends of the scarf, folding the ends to the back of the scarf.


The fringe was sewn on.


This was not the intended garment for the scarf, but that one still had to be constructed.


I have in the meantime sewn the intended outfit, a pair of trousers and a cowl neck top. Adding the scarf to the cowl neck, fools the eye into believing that it is the scarf that is wrapped around the neck, yet the scarf is simply draped over the shoulders of the top.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy her books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
For more crafty ideas and great products, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment