Search This Blog

Sunday 19 June 2016

Park Your Lawnmower In The Shed Birthday Card

My  6 year old nephew is quite obsessed with lawnmowers. So much so that he has chosen this as the theme for his bedroom. It did not require brain surgery to figure out the theme for his birthday card then. You can adjust the theme of your own card easily enough, but let me show you how to create a shed to hide away the surprise on your own card.


I use a set of blank store-bought cards for the base of today's blog.


The cards are cream-colored and I take the measurements to see what I am working with.


I use a lawnmower design from my book, Designs By Miekie 1, to draw the lawnmower from. I redrew the design freehand, but you could also simply print it to size if you preferred. You can buy this book, filled with 50 line drawing designs, on Amazon.com by clicking here.


I divide an A4 page into quarters.


Then I draw the design onto one of these quarters.


I redraw the design in dark brown, using Faber Castell Pitt Artists Pens.


I then use my Derwent Inktense Pencils to colour the drawing with.


I am especially fond of these pencils for their vibrant colours.


I then cut the design away from its white background and fit it onto the card. Perfect!


I use double-sided tape to fix the drawing to the card.


I take the measurement of the card again to determine the size of the shed.


I cut the shed from this wood imitation paper. The size of the shed matches that of the card exactly.


I then cut the inside of the shed out, leaving a frame of 1 cm at top and bottom and 2 cm on each of the sides. The frame is fixed to the card with double-sided tape.


I divide the cutout center in half.


I put double-sided tape on the edges of the centers where the hinges would be on actual doors.


Then I use colored ice cream sticks and fold the doors back over these.


The ice cream sticks are glued onto the card.


I use small split pins to imitate door knobs.


I then punch the salutations from golden glitter paper.


The letters are glued on using the fine point of the Tombow Glue.


I decide that this is too boring. I will need to add another element to the outside of my shed. Thinking about the shed we had on the farm, growing up, I remember the lizards we used to catch there. I will add a lizard!


I paint the lizard a vibrant Custard Yellow using Dala Craft Paint.


The lizard is fixed to the shed door with Tombow Glue.


The cheeky lawnmower takes a peek at the birthday boy!


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy her books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
For more crafty ideas and great products, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment