Search This Blog

Friday 3 June 2016

Cooking Sorghum Porridge

Sorghum has been gaining in popularity for being a gluten free wheat as well as being fibre rich. Today's blog is a very short one in which I show you how to prepare a cheap option of this versatile grain in everyday porridge (pap).


I buy this cheap version of the grain, rather than the prettily packaged versions that cost an arm and a leg and still does the same thing. I poured some onto the lid in the middle to show you how rough this is straight from the package. I pop it into my coffee grinder and in a jiffy I have a finely ground grain, as you can see in the bottle on the left.


I then bring water to the boil, add a little salt and add my ground sorghum. It immediately has the consistency you will end up with. allowing you to experiment with your favorite ratios. I prefer mine slightly runny and work on a ratio of 2 water to one grain or even 3:1. Turn the heat down and let it cook at a low temperature for 2 hours.


My favorite toppings are a combination of milk, butter (or margarine) and honey.


Cheap, easy and healthy. Bon appetit!


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy her books here:You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
For more crafty ideas and great products, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment