Search This Blog

Monday 2 May 2016

School Holiday Project 28: Making A Mask 4 A Diva

My four-year old niece had a scheme for involving me in a paint project she had in mind. She whispered in my ear that she was in need of a mask and the two of us promptly sat ourselves down to create one. The drawing and cutting aspect of this was a little advanced for her, but would be great with slightly older kids. Still, she had a ball of a time painting and decorating her mask and paraded it all over the place.


She surprised me by selecting a green paper to cut the mask from. This A4 paper is folded in half in the length.


Draw the bottom line for the mask to establish this perimeter. I then measured the distance between her eyes and found it to be 3 cm apart. I divided this measurement in half and marked the spot for the inside corner of the eye, 1,5 cm from the fold.


I then drew in the eye.


This was followed by a swanky curve for the top of the mask.


All that was left to draw, were the curves connecting the top to the bottom.


It would be a little difficult for her to cut something on the fold and that is why I cut the mask out.


I then used a craft knife to cut the eyes out, with the paper still folded in half.


She was astonished to see that there was a whole mask when I opened it up, not having realized yet in life the significance of working on a fold. Invaluable lesson learned!


We now fitted the mask to see if any adjustments would need to be made.


At this point, I gave the mask to her and she took to it with watercolours, glue and embellishments.




 When the paint and glue was dry, I used an awl to make two holes next to each of the eyes. A string was strung through these holes.


The string was tied with a knot on the inside. The same things was done on the other side.


The string is tied behind her head with a bow.


And our masked Diva was ready for the ball!


For more crafty ideas and great products, visit APrettyTalent.com.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment