Search This Blog

Friday 18 December 2015

Sewing a Girly Top from Offcuts

I had cut a skirt for my niece and was left with all kinds of funny shapes in the leftover fabric. It seemed too small to cut a pattern piece from and was on its way to the offcut bag that I collect for a local preschool, when it occurred to me that I could put together different offcuts to cut this cute girly top. I show you how in today's blog.


I used one of my niece's tops to use as guide for the size and pattern.


I managed to get about half a front and back for the top from these offcuts.


I cut the extra length for the top from some off-cut purple.


I then used the offcut organza to cut a shorter version of the front and back from.


Even though I had enough organza to cut the full length of the top, I wanted a shorter version and simply folded the top away to cut the shortened hemline.


I could now bring the pieces together to see if the idea would work. I was happy with the result and carried on.


Sew the top together at the shoulders.


Sew the organza top together at the shoulders as well.


Sew the side seams of the organza top.


Attach the extra length to the top front and back.


Sew the side seams of the top, but stop at the seam where the extra length starts. We will create a slit in the side seams of the top at this point.


Pin and sew a rolled seam and hem around the purple fabric (the extra length) of the top.


Hem the organza top.


Slide the organza top onto the fabric top with the WRONG sides facing each other. Pin the neckline, lining the shoulder seams up. Sew all around the neckline with a seam allowance of 1 cm.


Turn the top right sides out. Fold the seams at the armholes in and pin them in place.


Sew the armholes by hand.


Press all of the seams flat and you will have a pretty little top made from offcuts. Not bad at all!


For more crafty ideas and great products, visit APrettyTalent.com.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment