Search This Blog

Saturday 12 December 2015

Making a Fresh Peach Salad

We are very fortunate to have a great harvest of cling peaches this year from the fruit trees in the back garden. There are so many things to do with cling peaches that using all of them is hardly a problem. However, a fresh peach is still one of the tastiest fruits to tantalize the taste buds, especially when they had a chance to ripen on the tree. Today I share one of my own recipes for making a delicious salad with your fresh cling peaches. Since making this salad the first time, I have had numerous requests for more, and as the season is still going strong, we enjoy this salad at least once a week.


I start by collecting a big bushel of fresh herbs from the garden. These are washed and spin dried. I am rather indiscriminate as to what I get. You will note that I have parsley, mint, licorice grass, chives, garlic chives, spring onions, celery, dill, rosemary, fennel, basil and probably a few more I have forgotten in the mix. I also picked some fresh mixed lettuce leaves.


The lettuce leaves are carefully separated from the rest of the herbs.


As some of the herbs have quite hard stalks, I tend to chop them very fine before adding them to the salad.


The lettuce is simply broken into slightly smaller pieces by hand.


I choose a couple of ripe peaches that are not too good looking, as these are usually the ones left behind in the basket when the good looking ones are gobbled up by hungry crowds of teenagers (and others) passing through the house.


The peaches are peeled, pitted and cut into small pieces. You can cut the peaches into beautiful slices for a great presentation salad, but I was serving this salad to older diners who had more trouble cutting and chewing their food and so I opted to cut the peaches much finer than I would normally do.


Cut a fresh lemon in half and remove the pips. Now squeeze the lemon juice over the salad.


I prefer adding fresh pineapple to the salad, which I cut in wedges, but as I had no fresh pineapple on hand, I added a tin of crushed pineapple to the salad. You can even add some of the juice in the tin as well, but be moderate. Nobody likes a drenched salad.


I then add a heaped tablespoon of icing sugar. This will buffer the acidic taste of the ingredients.


Add a dash of red wine vinegar. Do not overwhelm it!


Now add a dash of olive oil. Not too much!


Mix everything together, allowing the flavors to embrace each other.


Spoon it into a beautiful dish and enjoy the refreshing taste of this fresh salad straight from the garden.


For more crafty ideas and great products, visit APrettyTalent.com.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment