Search This Blog

Saturday 25 July 2015

Painting with Derwent Aquatone on Black

In the previous blog I introduced you to Derwent's brilliant product; Aquatone. Aquatone are solid watercolor pencils without a wooden casing. They are fantastic value for money and a brilliant product for professional artists. What I have failed to tell you yesterday is with how much success you can use these fabulous pencils on a black background. Their true vibrancy only comes into its own once it is used on black and the colors will pop off the page. Learn more about this in today's blog.


I stick a sheet of black watercolor paper down on a wooden backing with masking tape.


I will be using Derwent Aquatone for every part of this painting.


I sketch the figure I want to draw in Chinese White from the Aquatone set.


I add some very elaborate wings in the same Chinese White.


Light Blue highlights are added to the wings, dress and hair.


Ultramarine is added as a shadow to all the areas previously done in Light Blue.


The flesh part of the figure is colored in Burnt Umber.


Dark Violet is used for the deep shadow areas of the drawing.


Burnt Carmine is used as a warm counter to all the cold colors in the drawing.


When I am done I like the drawing so much that I am tempted not to paint it. This is option that is open to you when you use Aquatone. It will be contrary to what I want to show you about Aquatone though, and I continue on to paint it.


I use a Pentel Aquash Brush and small angled brush in this painting. I start with the body.


I then paint the hair.


The wings and dress follows.


The painting is left to dry in the sun.


Once dry, the tape is removed. I still like the unpainted version better, having enjoyed the prominent lines more than the blended ones. However, as you can see, Aquatone loses none of its brilliance when painted, not even on black.


For more crafty ideas and great products, visit APrettyTalent.com.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment