Search This Blog

Friday 15 March 2019

Four Quick & Easy Dala Blackboard Paint Projects

In today's blog I make four quick and easy projects, using Dala Blackboard Paint. I use a variety of surfaces to paint on, including glass, wood and cardboard. I also use a variety of techniques, making this an interesting blog to read if you are interested in old-fashioned blackboards. However, I also introduce chalk pens to write on, rather than the dusty old chalks. Be sure to find out more if this is unfamiliar territory to you.


I have a number of colours available in the Dala Blackboard Paint range, although it is far more extensive than what I own. I use a soft bristled brush to paint with.


I start by drawing a picture with hot glue on an empty coffee bottle that I have washed and removed the label from.


I paint both the glass bottle as well as the plastic bottle with the blackboard paint, without even bothering with any surface preparation. This  paint is very happy to stick to anything!


I wait for the first coat to become touch dry, before painting a second coat.


Then I wait again for the project to become touch dry, before painting a third coat on both the bottle as well as the lid.


I find a stencil, a plastic palette and a sponge.


I dab a little paint on my sponge.


I position the stencil on the bottle.


I stencil a label onto the bottle.


I do the same with the lid.


One side of the bottle.


The other side of the bottle. I then use chalk pens to write and draw on the bottle and lid. These can be wiped away with a wet or dry cloth, just like chalk can.


The finished project - Side A.


The finished project - Side B.


I then find a wooden block 'canvas' that I have already prepared with gesso, thinking that I would paint on it with acrylics. You can work directly on the wood.


I give it a first layer of paint and wait for it to dry.


A second coating is painted on once it is touch dry.


Then I use a pencil to draw a design on the board.


I paint the design in the same blackboard paints, so that they can be written on and over, as well as the rest of the board.


I add more details and colours to the design.


I keep working on the design.


Once everything is dry, I write a quote on the board.


I have been given a small green writing board a couple of years ago. I find it very ugly, considering what is available on the market.


I repaint it in purple blackboard paint.


A second coating is painted on when it is touch dry.


Then I draw a design on it in pencil.


I paint the design in blackboard paints.


More detail is added.


Once the project is completely dry, I use chalk pens to write a biblical quote on it.


I had also washed out two empty Pringles boxes. This time I won't paint the lids as I wish to be able to see what is stored inside the boxes.


Two coats of paint is sufficient to cover the boxes.


Once it is dry, I draw and write on the boxes with chalk pens.


These were intended for a little boy. On the one I wrote Siekret Paairet Stuff. I intended to fill it up with miniature pirate things, which I would place in little bottles with the instructions to 'just add water to grow your own pirate stuff.' The little boy I had in mind, has a wonderful sense of humour and this would be just the sort of thing to tickle his funny bone. The other container said Siekret Sientjie Stuff (Secret Boy Stuff). This I would fill with all sorts of hardware and tools. And perhaps a lonesome pair of underpants in the interest of lighthearted comedy.


The completed collection.


You can watch a compilation video of the above steps on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/dPgxF1AHkoQ


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment