I bought this banting from a local supplier.
It is not strictly necessary to prepare the surface with Gesso, but I wanted to make doubly sure that the adhesives and paper would stick to it and nothing beats gesso to ensure that.
Once the gesso was dry, I painted the sides of the wood with Ivory Black Acrylic Paint.
I waited again for the paint to dry. Then I gathered some craft paper to cover the flags with. I would use six designs of paper and cut two flags from each design.
I traced the outlines of the flags on the back of the craft paper, with a pencil.
I then used my scissors to cut the flags out.
The most important thing is that the flags should form a unity.
I used Dala Acrylic Gel Medium to decoupage the paper onto the wood with. Paint the flags one at a time with the Gel Medium.
Now lay the paper on top and rub out any air bubbles that may be trapped underneath. Paint a coating of Acrylic Gel Medium over the paper as well.
Allow these sides of the banting to dry completely.
Now flip the flags over and decoupage the backs as well.
Allow the backs of the flags to dry completely.
I then decide to distress the banting a little. For this I use Tim Holtz' Distress Ink in Walnut Stain.
Simply smear the ink pad over the surface of the banting.
The next step was to plan the layout of the wording I wanted to add to my banting banner. I used some wooden die-cut letters for this.
I then measured precisely from the top to make sure all the letter would be at the same height and traced the outline of the letters with a pencil, effectively using the letters as a stencil.
I then used Dala Craft Paint in Purple to paint the letters, using a small flat brush.
White highlights were added with quick brush sweeps once the purple was dry.
I did the same thing on the back, with more wording.
I then used the Brush tip Black Posca Marker to outline each of the letters.
When this was done, I used a punch and hammer set to re-open the holes at the top of the banting.
At this point I started building fabric flowers to add to the banting.
I finally settled on fixing the layers together with small split pins.
I used my trusty Tombow glue to attach the flowers to the banting.
The glue now had to be left to dry and then I would add flowers to the reverse side of the banting as well.
Once both sides were dry, I strung a thin string of ribbon through the holes.
I built two more flowers and hung the banting on my bedroom door, fixing them in place with thumbtacks.
For more crafty ideas and great products, visit APrettyTalent.com.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.