Search This Blog

Sunday 31 July 2016

Painting A Blackboard Turtle

I have a birthday for a little boy coming up and this is always an ideal time to get into the mind of a young child. This boy loves drawing and has recently become enchanted by turtles. Well, I knew just the trick for combining these two loves into one project. I would use the turtle wooden cut-out I had in the studio, gather my Dala Blackboard Paint and turn this turtle into a lovely and fun blackboard for him to draw his own art on.


This is the wooden cut-out that I started my project on.


Dala Blackboard Paint will take directly on the wood without a problem, but I wanted to start on a whiter surface as this would make the colours appear brighter. That is why I started the project off by painting the turtle with Dala Acrylic Gesso, which is a surface treatment. You can read more about this fantastic product in an earlier blog. Simply click on this link to read that blog.


I painted one side of the turtle with the gesso.


The edges of the turtle was also covered with the gesso.


I waited before flipping the turtle over and covering the other side with the gesso as well.


I wanted to paint the turtle in Dala Blackboard Paint as this would make it a useful toy for the boy to play with. You can read more about Dala Blackboard Paint in a previous blog where I discuss this wonderful product in great detail. Read this previous blog at this link.


I wanted to paint both sides of the turtle to make it more versatile. One side would be painted in plain black, while the other would be painted more decoratively. I therefore started with a first coat of black.


I gave the first coat a chance to dry and then painted a second coat.


I waited for the second coat to become touch dry as well. I then swapped to a softer brush that would not be likely to leave paint lines and painted a third and final coat.


I also painted the edges of the turtle black.


When the last coat was dry, I flipped the turtle over and noticed that I had smeared some paint on this side. I quickly covered these areas with more gesso.


When the gesso was dry, I used a pencil to draw detail onto the turtle.


I started with blue on the shell.


I then moved to Navy Blue detail on the shell.


I painted teal on the feet and head.


The edges of the shell was painted grey.


I used pink on the mouth and more grey on the eyebrow.


The lashes and dimples was painted with black.


By this time my  first colours had dried and I could move directly on to the second coat. I repeated the same steps a second time. I only applied a third coat where I thought the turtle needed it, working selectively on this coat.


I then decided to paint a black trim all around the design, allowing it to resemble a cartoon drawing.


I then touched up the edges where necessary.


Finally the turtle was ready to go into a gift bag along with some chalks to make a little boy happy.


The front was pretty and he could easily draw on that side as it was painted completely with only Blackboard Paints, but I kept the back purposefully simple to keep it clear of distractions for his own art work.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy the books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
For more crafty ideas and great products, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment