Search This Blog

Monday 8 July 2019

ICAD 2019 - Week 3

We have now entered the third week of ICAD 2019, the Index Card A Day challenge, which has been running for nine years. The inspiration for this week was mark-making, sketching, drawing, or portraiture. With this in mind, my index cards for this week, shows a whole lot more drawing than the previous weeks' had. Still, my time was limited and I opted to do very simple line drawings, rather than fully developed sketches. I show you how to do this in quick and easy steps in today's blog.


I am using these index cards that have a blank side and on the reverse, there are lines.


DAY 15
The theme for day 15 was storm and I opted to once again work on the blank side of the index card.


I covered the index card with Dala Acrylic Gesso.


I then took out my Daler Rowney Art Masking Fluid and a Paint Pusher.


I painted concentric circles on the card with the masking fluid, using the paint pusher to apply the masking fluid. This is to mimic a tornado.


Once the masking fluid is dry, it simply peels off the paint pusher, making it a much better tool to use than a paint brush, as the masking fluid tends to ruin paint brushes.


I went to my booklet 'Designer Collection' from Art by Marlene and found some ready made diecut images to use in the project. This frazzled creature seemed to be passing through some storm of life.


With the masking fluid dry, I used Faber Castell Gelatos to colour the card in concentric cirlces of blue, yellow and green.


I then spritzed the card with water.


I used a paper towel to blend the Gelatos.


Then I used an eraser to remove the masking fluid, exposing the white areas of the card.


Be careful not to be too hasty when removing the masking fluid, or you could tear your card, the same way that I have torn mine.


I used double-sided tape to fix the image to the card.


I used 3D squares to lift the fish off the card.


I then used an Artline marker to write the words 'This too shall pass' on the card.


The completed index card for Day 15.


DAY 16
The theme for Day 16 was Chandelier. I started by coating the index card with Zellen Black Canvas Primer.


I then use a Faber Castell Pitt pen to draw a chandelier on the dry gesso.


I then use a tearing ruler to rule a curved border around the edges of the card.


Then I use Teddy glitter paint to coat the whole card with a sheen of glitter. Teddy is Dala's junior range of art products.


I use Tombow glue to glue some rhinestones to the four corners of the card.


The completed index card for Day 16.


DAY 17
The theme for day 17 was bench or wood. I decided to use this effects brush, meant to be used on walls, to paint the card with.


I painted the index card with Dala Student Acrylic paint in Raw Sienna.


I sprayed the wet paint with water to make it slightly more runny. Then I combed it diagonally with the effects brush. It now vaguely resembled the grains in wood.


Once dry, I used an Artline marker to draw a couple sitting on a park bench. I started with these twirls.


Then I marked the height of the seat and back of the bench, before adding the body of the woman.


I added a head and feet and arm.


I added a face and hair.


Then followed the feet of the man.


His body and one arm.


His head came next.


I now completed the bench.


And then they hugged each other.


Then I put them in a park by drawing a setting.


The completed index card for day 17.


DAY 18
The theme for day 18 was yearbook. I opted to use Bianjo Acrylic paint in gold, silver and bronze to link this to the achievements celebrated in a yearbook.


I simply painted these three colours in diagonal lines across the card.


I then found some pictures of school acitivities in my stash.


I also found some alphabet stickers that I could use.


I found contrasting number stickers to use.


The pictures was stuck to the card with 3D tape.


I used Liquid Drops 3D Pearls to create a frame for the card.


My finished card read 'class of 2019' in tribute to my nephew who was finishing his high school career.


DAY 19
The theme for Day 19 was simply Yellow. I deicded to use a spray gun and Dala Acrylic Ink in Golden Yellow.


I sprayed the whole card yellow.


Then I used Zellen's Zelcryl acrylic paint in gold and a palette knife to paint over the yellow ink.


I used the scollaped edge of the palette knife to mimic sun rays from one corner of the card using a scgraffito method.


I then found a sticker with words on it that I could use.


I also found some diecuts from the Designer Collection from Art by Marlene that I could use. I attached the elements with 3D tape and squares to the card.


Then I used a Faber Castell True Gel pen to draw a frame around the index card, crawing small circles.


The completed index card for day 19.


DAY 20
The theme for Day 20 was Vitrina, which means display case. I again opted to use the spray gun, but this time with Sienna from Dala Acrylic Ink.


I sprayed the whole card with the ink.


Then I drew a glass display cabinet on the side of the card. I used Faber Castell Pitt Pen.


I used Mont Marte and Giotto markers to draw cakes and a cake sale in the vitrina.


Then I returned to the Designer Collection diecuts from Art by Marlene.


I used double-sided tape to attach them to the card.


I blew onto a GiottoTurbo Glitter marker, through a straw, to add sparkle to the cabinet.


The completed card for day 21.


DAY 21
The theme for day 21 was guitar. I drew a partial box guitar on the side of the card with a pencil.


I used black Dala Acrylic ink to paint the hole in the guitar.


I used Iris acrylic paint to paint the guitar blue.


Then I used Dala acrylic paint to paint the background of the card yellow.


I used Giotto markers to draw designs on the guitar once the paint was dry.


I found some more diecuts from the Designer Collection from Art by Marlene to use on the card.


I used a combination of 3D squares and tape, Tombow glue and double-sided tape to glue the elements to the card.


I used a white Faber Castll Pitt Pen to draw the strings of the guitar.


The completed index card for Day 21.


The completed range of cards for Week 3.


You can watch a compilation video of the above steps on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/UvxTzsErvA4


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment