Search This Blog

Sunday 30 December 2018

Sewing Elasticated Pants

I have this pair of pajamas that have been such a firm favorite of mine, that I have worn it quite through. There is no doubt in my mind that the success of this outfit is thanks to two factors; the brilliant pattern, as well as the softness of the fabric it is made of. When I was working on the gypsy outfit recently, I kept thinking that the softness of the fabric with the rose motif, would work marvelously on this pattern. I promptly recovered the pajamas, cut it apart and made myself a pair of elasticated pants, for day wear. I show you how I went about it in today's blog.


After cutting the pajamas apart, I lay the back panel down on the fabric and cut this out.


Then I cut out the front panel. These are the only two pattern pieces needed for these pants.


I also measure my middle and cut a length of elastic to fit me.


I pin the crotch of the back panels together and sew them.


Then I do the same with the front panels.


I pin the outer side seams and sew them.


I line the inner seams up at the crotch and pin outwards.


Then I sew the inner seam all the way through from hem to hem.


I fold rolled hems and sew these.


I fold a large rolled hem at the top of the pants, wide enough to fit the elastic.


Leaving an opening between the pins, I sew all around the middle of the pants.


I sew on some ribbon loops with which to hang the pants in the wardrobe.


It is time to insert the elastic into the tube created for it. I use a bodkin to do this.


When the elastic emerges through the other hole, I sew the two ends together with a zigzag stitch.


The pants are done in no time at all!


You can watch a compilation video of the above steps on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/TtoRPWcbe_E


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment