Search This Blog

Saturday 6 October 2018

Cardmaking: New Beginnings

Today, we are going to make a card for someone who is standing on the verge of a new phase of their lives. I love the idea of using a caterpillar for this purpose, as caterpillars are soon to turn into the most beautiful butterflies, spread their wings and fly! Let me show you how to go about this in today's blog.


Caterpillars are very easy to draw, but you can also find them in lots of colouring books. Alternatively, you can find a picture of one on the internet, and print it out. I tore a page out of one of my colouring books to make today's card.


Your choice of colours is wholly dependent upon yourself and your recipient. I opted to start with shades of green.


I then moved into oranges and yellows.


I coloured the eyes black, making sure to leave a white dot for the light's reflection in the eyes.


I then returned to my original greens to colour the foliage.


I took great pains to carefully cut the picture out.


I then found a suitable colour to for the card itself. I wanted something cheerful and optimistic, and yellow seemed an appropriate choice.


I folded the sheet of cardboard in half to form the card.


I then found a sheet of paper in neutral brown to use as matting for the picture. I cut it to size to fit on the front of the card.


I applied double-sided tape to the back of the matting.


I stuck the matting in place.


I then used double-sided tape to stick the picture onto the matting.


I used a black marker to draw the antennae of the caterpillar with.


The completed card.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment