Search This Blog

Thursday 6 July 2017

Cardmaking: Colour My Love Part 1

We are approaching Spring again and traditionally this is the time for love to bloom. Why not surprise the love of your life with an out of season Valentine's Card to remind them how much they mean to you? To add a bit of fun, we do some relaxing adult colouring before turning the coloured pictures into a card. The design I used for today's blog is taken from my book Designs By Miekie 1.


For the purposes of this blog, I printed four designs from the book Designs By Miekie 1 onto a single A4 page. I will be using the one with the two lovebirds.


Here you can see the design more clearly at A4 size.


I find a piece of cardstock measuring 6" x 12" to use as the card. This will set the tone for my colour palette.


I will be using Derwent Coloursoft pencils to colour the design.


I start with a warm red to establish the theme of love. The colour is used in both birds.


I then use blue to establish that one bird is male, and pink to establish the other bird as being female. The colours are used in the opposing birds as well for uniformity sake, but in greatly reduced quantities.


I then use a warm orange in both birds to stick to the warm colours of love.


An even more vibrant red is used for the next colour.


The eyes of the birds are coloured as well as the leaves on the branches.


The branches are coloured in two shades of brown, with the darkest shade used on the edges of the branches to create the illusion of a rounded shape.


The background is coloured a warm dove grey.


I then use rubbing alcohol on the picture to blend the colouring in and to make it appear less grainy.


The finished product.


I carefully cut all around the frame of the picture to crop it for the card I wish to use it on.


My picture is now ready to be used on a card.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment