Search This Blog

Saturday 24 September 2016

Painting Naive Flowers On A Background Using Primary Colours

Spring is in the air and the days are turning wonderfully warm. It is time to reflect this joyous time of the year on canvas as well. I paint a pot of lovely spring flowers in a naive style in today's blog, starting with primary colours for my background. The painting is a mixed media work of acrylic and pen.


I start the painting on a canvas that has already been primed with gesso. The canvas measures 8" x 8", or +/- 20 x 20 cm.


I reinforce the back of the canvas.


I will paint the background in pale yellow and light blue.


The bottom quarter is painted yellow.


The top is painted blue. I make sure that I don't get a green line where the two colours meet, by waiting for the yellow to dry before painting the blue.


Once the paint is dry, I use a marker to draw a loose vase on the canvas.


I then paint a decorative frame around the canvas.


One half of the vase is painted medium blue.


I add centers for 5 flowers with the marker.


I then draw loops for the flower petals.


The petals are painted a deep rose.


The colour is repeated on the tablecloth.


Deep yellow is used for the centers of the flowers.


Deep purple is added to the vase and repeated on the tablecloth.


Rose is repeated on the vase.


Green stems are added for the flowers.


White highlights are added to the flowers, the vase and the stems.


Once the paint is dry, more detail is added with the marker.


The painting is done and ready to brighten up a wall. This painting is available at R250 from Marietjie. Contact me at uys.marietjie@gmail.com. Free delivery in Gauteng.


You may wish to purchase a set of two paintings at R450. Contact me at uys.marietjie@gmail.com. free delivery in Gauteng.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy the books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
For more crafty ideas and great products, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment