Search This Blog

Friday 16 August 2019

Gelli Plate Image Transfer

I have been enjoying trying out the Gelli Plate that I have bought on Loot.co.za. Today I continue my experiments with this lovely tool when I pull some image prints off magazines and books. What a fun thing to do! I have not yet used these images and prints in other projects, but I will certainly be able to do so in the near future. For today though, I simply share one more fun thing to do with the Gelli Plate.


I take my first image from a page I found in this book called "Vriendin jy is die beste."


I put a dollop of Bianjo acrylic paint on the Gelli Plate and then spritz it with water to dilute paint slightly.


I brayer the paint onto the plate.


Then I brayer the image onto the plate, with the side I wish to retain towards the paint.


When I pull the page away, the image is feintly visible in the paint left on the Gelli Plate.


I then brayer a paper onto the image on the plate. I simply used an index card left over from the ICAD endeavours from earlier.


When I lift the index card away, a silhouette of the image had transferred to the card.


Here you can see the original image and the index card image side by side.


I wished to extend my experiments and opted to use a page from a book called Put on your Dancing Shoes.


This the image I choose to use.


I again place a dollop of Bianjo Acrylic Paint on the Gelli Plate and spritz it with water to dilute it slightly.


I brayer the paint onto the plate.


Then I brayer the image onto the wet paint.


I pull the image away to reveal a vague impression left on the Gelli Plate.


I had this dirty Index Card lying on the table next to me and wondered how it would look if I used this, instead of a clean one.


I brayered the index card onto the image.


I managed to pull yet another great print off the Gelli Plate in this manner.


Then I wondered how detail I would be able to transfer in this manner. I used two much smaller and busier images from a little book called 'The Sherlock Holmes Miniature Book of Quotations.'


I cut these images out.


I put some Bianjo Acrylic Paint on the Gelli Plate and spritzed it with water.


Then I brayered the paint onto the plate.


I pressed the images down on the wet paint.


Then I brayered them on for good measure.


I could barely make out any detail when I pulled the images away.


I brayered an index card over the images.


The larger image trasferred better than the smaller one did, but I wasn't extremely pleased. I think I will rather be using larger images with less detail for this technique.


Looking back at the previous two prints pulled in this blog.


And yet another print.


You can watch a compilation video of the above steps on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/352Ni1ihyWQ


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment