Search This Blog

Saturday 24 March 2018

Making Chili Preserve

The members of my family recently bought vegetable combo packs from their local green grocer. Included in the combos, were handfuls of chilies. As no one in my family cooks with chilies, aside from myself, I was instantly rewarded with all of their combined chili purchases. As I already had a good stash of dried out chilies, I decided to preserve these latest additions in oil. I show you how to go about this in today's blog.


I started off by weighing the chilies in my possession. It came to about 300 grams.


I decided to add a decent amount of garlic to the chilies.


My niece showed up just as I was about to start, and promptly volunteered to assist. She chopped the chilies and garlic finely.


It is very handy to have a willing and well-trained helper at hand, aside from benefiting from cheerful company.


This youngster had her own ideas about crushing garlic as she is forever watching the food networks and have picked up a couple of nifty skills in the process.


We decided to add some fresh lemon juice and zest to the chili preserve, although this is optional.


We measured a cup (250 ml) olive oil, an equal amount of vinegar, and salt to taste.


The liquids were brought to the boil.


In the meantime, we cleaned some jars for bottling.


The dry ingredients was mixed together.


It was then added to the pot on the stove top, where it was brought to the boil, before being turned down and left to simmer.


Roughly an hour later, we were ready to bottle the preserves.


Seal the bottles while still hot. Refrigerate after opening.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment