Search This Blog

Friday 11 August 2017

Sewing Round Scatter Cushion Pillowcases

In the previous blog I told you about my stay in Hondeklipbaai where I helped a friend to get her cottage ready for rent to tourists and visitors to this idyllic town. When it came to buying scatter cushions, I suggested I rather make pillowcases for the existing cushions. In today's blog I show you how to make pillowcases for round scatter cushions.


Lynette purchased a couple of meters of very expensive fabric and this is what I made the pillowcases from.


She also bought the pillow inners for the scatter cushions that would go onto the beds. Each inner is 50 cm in length and 50 cm in circumference.


I took careful measurements, adding extra fabric for seam allowance and fold-over at the opening of the pillowcase. I also worked out the diameter and radius of the circular ends of the pillowcases.


I was finally ready to cut the fabric. Immediately afterwards, I fitted it around the cushion to double-check myself. It worked out perfectly.


I then found a side plate with the same diameter as what I was looking for. Remember to add 1,5 cm for seam allowance to the determined diameter.


I used the side plate to mark the circular ends of the covers. Each pillow cover would require 2 of these.


Cut out along the marked line.


I finished the edges with the overlocker.


The sides of the pillowcovers that would be at the open ends, each received rolled hems on both ends.


I then sewed the hems.


It was now time to overlock the sides.


I then pinned the first side seam all the way around the circular panel. I folded the bottom panel back for the fold-over before pinning it.


Here you can see the fold-over more clearly as it is pinned to the circular side.


Very carefully and slowly, sew all around the circle to secure the seams.


Fit the cushion to double-check that the circles fit each other.


Pin the other side of the pillowcase to the circular panel


Sew the seam.


Turn the pillowcase right side out.


Insert the cushion.


The final product!


The four round scatter cushions waiting to go into the Fisherman's Cottage.


Fisherman's Cottage is a charming cottage with a lovely view on the bay in Hondeklipbaai. If you ever find your way over there and are looking for a place to stay, you should consider Fisherman's Cottage as an option. For bookings, give Rina a call at 072 493 0757.


The newly refurbished room with its bay window overlooking the ocean.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment