Search This Blog

Friday 10 May 2019

Making Grape Jam

The grapes are hanging thick on the vines back home, and when I visited over the weekend, my dad made sure to send me off with a bag filled with grapes. These were more than I could manage and as soon as I arrived home, I decided to turn them into jam. I show you how to make this easy jam in today's blog.


This is the bag of grapes I got from my dad.


Remove the pips from the stalks, weigh them and put them in a large pot.


Measure sugar to a ratio of 4:5, that is 400 mg for 500 mg grapes.


Add a tablespoon lemon juice to the pot as pectin.


Bring slowly to the boil. Do not allow to boil before all of the sugar has melted. I forgot to put butter around the rim of my pot, causing my jam to boil over. Putting butter around the rim of your pot, will prevent this. Allow the jam to cook for about an hour on medium heat.


Sterilize your bottles and lids.


Put the scalding hot jam in the warm bottles and seal immediately.


The rewards of my labour.


You can watch a short compilation video of the steps above on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/0icIkTyKfvw


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment