Search This Blog

Wednesday 1 May 2019

Make Your Own Make-Up - Eye-shadow

Some time ago a friend of mine brought me a box full of colourful bottles. She had no idea what to do with them and was handed it by yet another friend of hers. She asked if I would like to have it, and I readily agreed. At the time, I had no idea what it was that I had taken off her hands, but a quick search of the internet brought it to my attention that I had been given a rather extensive collection of the right stuff, if I wished to make my own make-up. There were a number of varied items, but the colourful bottles proved to be the pigment needed to make eye-shadow. A few more searches on the internet, and I finally settled on a recipe that I liked, slightly adjusted and combined from a number I had come across. I share this with you in today's blog.


These are the bottles of pigment that I was given by my friend. The name of the company that produces these is Rona. Feel free to search for them on the internet and place your own order, if you are interested in pursuing this hobby. Alternatively, I have also come across a number of recipes which shared tips for creating your own pigments, making it unnecessary to invest in bottles of pigment. You will know best which option suits your own personality and preferences best.


I started by scooping some of the powder into a small bowl.


I then added a small amount of coconut oil to the powder.


I mixed this rather extensively.


I then scooped the mixture into a small container.


At this stage the granules are still very loosely packed.


I cut a small square of kitchen towel and lay it over the container.


I then searched for a round object to fit inside the container with which to compress the powder. It happened to be a large Pritt glue. I pressed down firmly on the powder to compact it.


This is what it looked like when I was done.


I then wrote a label for the container for future references, as these first samples were to serve as sample references. The idea is to mix your own shades from the pigments received. But for now, I was simply happy to mix pure samples straight from the bottle.


I then cut a sheet of watercolour paper to fit inside the lid of my container.


I painted the paper a dark flesh colour using Dala Acrylic Ink.


I then drew semicircle eyebrows on the page and wrote the names of the pigments under the eyebrows.


I then painted the tops of the eyebrows with the corresponding eye-shadow.


I stuck the reference chart to the inside of the container's lid and arranged my eye-shadows according to the layout on the reference chart. I was now ready for business and could start mixing my own colours from my reference samples and chart. The best idea for this is to mix the pigment first and then to add the coconut oil. This would ensure the best colour distribution.


You can watch a short compilation video of the above steps on YouTube.
https://youtu.be/jxPWn1OgYlk


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment