Search This Blog

Thursday 2 May 2019

Make Your Own Make-Up - Lipstick

I am still having great fun discovering how to make my own make-up. I have already shared some tips for making eye-shadow and blush with you and now it is time to move on to the lips. Once again, my internet searches have revealed a number of ways of doing this. I finally settled on the recipe of my choice, because the lipstick would double as a lip-balm, keeping the lips soft and moist. I walk you through the steps of making your own lipstick, providing photo references for each step.


I used beeswax and petroleum jelly in my lipstick, but it is also possible to swap out the petroleum jelly for something like coconut oil.


You can basically use any colourant from your kitchen to colour the lipstick with. If you prefer more earthy tones, consider ginge, cinnamon, turmeric, and such. You also get edible sparkles and shimmer at cake decorating shops, which can be added to the lipsticks with great success.


Use a double boiler to melt the beeswax and oil/jelly. If you do not have a double boiler, you can fit one bowl on top of another, as I did. You can also use the microwave in spurts of 30 seconds.


Put the beeswax in the top bowl and allow it to melt.


It melts rather rapidly.


Now add the petroleum jelly/coconut oil and melt this as well. This will melt much faster than the beeswax, which is why we add it afterwards.


Keep stirring.


What it looks like when everything is melted together.


Adding some flavouring is optional. I opted to add a little bit of Rose to the wax. Stir quickly to prevent it from settling. Keep your top bowl on top of the water to keep the wax from setting while you're working with it.


As I intended on mixing a number of colours, I kept a number of small bowl ready. These were also emerged in hot water to prevent the wax from settling as it hit the cold glass/porcelain.


Pour some of your wax mixture into the small bowl. Add some colouring and sparkles and mix well.


Scoop the mixture into a small container, or an old lipstick tube. It will start to set almost immediately.


I kept on experimenting with other colours and colour combinations.


Some of these choices had me raising my eyebrows at myself.


After the wax had settled , but while it is still soft, place a cut kitchen towel square on the lipstick and tamp with an object that fits snugly in your containers.


This is what my lipsticks looked like shortly before I tamped them.


You can watch a compilation video of the above steps on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/_GV95hbNIl0


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment