Search This Blog

Thursday 19 October 2017

Painting Two Turtle Shells

If there is one thing that is great about spending time in Namaqualand, it is the plethora of new and strange things I encounter. The other day I was walking through the veld when I came upon a number of turtle shells upon my route. Not all of them were in good condition, but I managed to find two that were near perfect. I brought these home with me and today I share some ideas on painting these as garden ornaments.


I started by giving the two turtle shells a thorough wash and let them dry completely.


I used a flat brush and some craft paint that I found in Corna van Wyk's studio, in Koiingnaas.


I painted the bottom of the shell first as I would have to put the shell down to dry afterwards.


Then I painted the top of the shell and set it aside to dry.


I chose a muted green for the other shell.


It was also painted and set aside to dry.


I opted to reinforce the lines of the shell in gold.


I used a rigger brush to paint the lines with.


Coming along nicely.


For the other shell, I used copper.


Again the rigger brush was used.


Progress.


I then used the same rigger brush to paint dots on the 'skirt' of the shell.


This was repeated on the other shell.


Just for fun, I signed the bottom of the shells, as I intended to leave it in Corna's garden as a reminder of a fun-filled week of friendship.


I used the rigger brush to sign the shells with.


I then opted for a vibrant pink to paint some flowers with.


I used a flat brush turned sideways to dollop some petals onto the shells.


The actions were repeated on the second shell.


I left the paint to dry.


I wanted to add a bit more shimmer to the green shell to prevent it from disappearing in the foliage in the garden. I used a metallic green to 'shade' the segments with all around the flowers.


I added a vibrant yellow for the centers of the flowers.


Then I was done.


The two shells in their spot in the garden.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment