Search This Blog

Saturday 9 September 2017

Making Sweet Potato Soup

I was visiting a friend who was feeling a bit under the weather, when her mom pitched up with a large pot of soup. It turned out to be Sweet Potato Soup, and as soon as I've tasted it, I knew I would have to obtain the recipe from her. She was more than happy to share it with me. Being away from home in Hondeklipbaai, I was left with some lovely sweet potatoes and when the weather turned cold, I longed for that recipe that I had left at home. There was only one thing to do - contact Tannie Marieta to get the recipe from her again! She was an absolute star and sent it to me, so that I can share this lovely recipe with all of you today. I had to swap out some ingredients for what I had on hand, but you'll get the gist of it.


This is the recipe Tannie Marieta sent me.


Start by chopping and frying an onion in a little oil.


Peel 3 medium sized sweet potatoes.


Peel 2 carrots.


Grate the sweet potatoes and add it to the onions.


Grate the carrots and add it to the pot.


Progress shot.


Boil 1 Litre water.


Dissolve 3 cubes of chicken stock in the boiling water. I did not have any in the house and swapped it out for a packet of Cream of Chicken soup.


Add a teaspoon (5 ml) garam masala and season to taste with salt and pepper.


Close the lid and allow to steam for an hour or more.


Blend the soup for an even consistency, unless you prefer it more chunky.


Dish up and add a scoop of plain yogurt or cream to the soup.


Finish with a sprig of fresh herbs and enjoy.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment