Search This Blog

Thursday 1 June 2017

Cardmaking: Using An Old Almanac For Inspiration

Sometimes you get almanacs that have the sweetest or prettiest pictures and seems a shame to simply discard them by the end of the year. In today's blog I show you how to incorporate the pictures from your old almanacs and calendars in the cards that you make, giving them a new leash on life.


This is the almanac I am working from in today's project. I have cut out the dates and discarded them so that I am only left with the pictures. I am not going to be put off by the fact that one of my pictures were torn at some stage during the course of the year, but will work around this.


I go in search of a 12" x 12" sheet of paper that matches the colours and pictures of my almanac.


Now I carefully cut all around the edges of the pictures to cut them out.


In some areas it makes more sense to make use of a craft knife, rather than a pair of scissors.


I fold my 'card' in half.


The picture that will go on the inside of the card, needs to lie flat and is glued at the back.


It is then carefully stuck inside the card.


The pictures on the outside of the card can be raised. I use 3D double-sided tape at the backs of these pictures.


I try to keep as much of the original design of the card exposed when I stick my pictures down. It is already looking good and need only a few finishing touches.


A little bit of bling has never done any card any harm.


I use Dala's Junior range, namely Teddy Acrylic Glitter Paint to decorate the card a little more and to enhance some of the features of the pictures.


The dots on the ladybugs bodies are painted with silver glitter paint.


The flowers are painted with gold glitter paint. It is then left to dry.


In no time at all I have made a cute card from those cute designs on my outdated almanac and I have managed to up-cycle something that would otherwise have ended up in the junk pile.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great products, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs to receive regular updates by email, by simply registering your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment