Search This Blog

Thursday 10 October 2019

Sewing 2 Palazzos with Inserts

It is time to do some sewing again. I make two pairs of pants from the same palazzo pattern today. Both pairs have a fabric insert to make it a tad more interesting. These funky, vibrant fabrics is what all of us need to get us in the right frame of mind for the coming festive season. Bring on summer!


I found this fabric, that I eventually wanted to put together for an ensemble. The pants would be made from the paradise print fabric, a top from the black and white, while a short-sleeved summer jacket was to be made from the butterfly print fabric.


The other palazzo would be made from from fabric with an African tropical theme.


The palazzo pattern is an older one from Butterick, which I still treasure in my pattern box.


Yet another pair of pants from the same pattern.


The top would eventually also be made from the same pattern.


I ironed stiffening onto the waistbands.


Then I overlocked the seams.


I sewed the front crotches together. And then I sewed the back crotches together.


Laying the panels down, I cut the front and back panels open so that I would be able to add a fabric insert.


I sewed the fabric inserts into the opened up panels and my pants now looked like this.


I then sewed the side pockets into the side seams.


I sewed the ends of the waistbands closed and notched them.


The ends were then turned right side out.


I sewed the zippers into the back centre seam.


I opened the seam up over the zippers.


I sewed buttonholes into the waistbands and opened these up with a quick-unpick tool.


I also sewed the buttons onto the waistbands.


I then sewed the side seams, all around the pockets and down to the hems.


Then I sewed the inner leg seams from hem to hem, through the crotch.


I pinned the waistbands to the top of the pants, pleating the extra fabric where needed. I then sewed the waistbands onto the pants.


I hemmed the pants.


The completed pairs of palazzos. I found them to be too wide and decided to adjust the design.


I folded pleats at the bottom of the hems, over the fabric inserts, to take away some of the width. I then carefully sewed these shut.


I liked the altered designs much better than before.


You can watch a compilation video of the above steps on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/aU8N9-39v8k


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment